• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flor De Caña ®

Jason Perlow

Was able to pick up a lone bottle of this at a small liquor shop in NY a few days ago. Despite the fact it is only 7 years old it has some very deep flavors, very smooth, although not smoky.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Congratulations on finding this one. Flor de Cana has had some distribution problems, but its worth looking for. Since aging conditions vary there are vast differences in the depth of the smoky oak flavor gained by rum as it ages. Some of the differences are: strength of the rum that is aging, the condition of the barrels used for aging and the atmospheric conditions at the aging warehouse.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Flor de Cana has a nice golden color, its quite similar in flavor to the Cruzan Estate Single Barrel, although not quite as intense.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

It's interesting that you compare this to Cruzan Single Barrel, I find the Cruzan to be totally unique. It is lighter than the Flor de Cana rums and even their own Cruzan Estate Rum. Happy tasting.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I would place the 7 year more along the lines of a thin El Dorado or Barbancourt Estate. It is definitely much different to its market sibling, which incidentally I consider to be the undisputed king of the Cuba Libre mixers.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings,

I would just like to add that Flor De Cana 7 year old AND the 12 year old Centenatio are among my favorite rums.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

• 11 months later...

http://www.flordecana.com/en/index_ie.asp

15 years old. :biggrin:

Finally tasted this rum, on the rocks with a Cohiba Siglo II. Found it to be light, with a citrus aftertaste and a hint of caramel. Found the colour to be lighter than as described by FdC as "Dark Mahogany".

Don't think it is as good as FdC 4, 5 & 7 year old rums of darker colour. But, it is very good.

Edited by Bolivar Petit Corona (log)

I have 2 bottles of the 12, I didnt get the impression it was too light. I liked it a lot.

I do agree though that their 7 is probably their overall most balanced rum.

I agree with Jason. The 7 year old seems to be their best product. Well balanced. Caramel finish (if that's your taste) with a hint of natural spices.

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

• 7 months later...

Hi, all -

A shop here recently received a number of the Flor de Caña bottlings from Nicaragua. Included were the Extra Dry 4 y.o., Gold 4 y.o., Black Label 5 y.o., Grand Reserve 7 y.o., and Centenario 12 y.o. I've never tried these and am hoping someone here may be able to comment or offer suggestions. Thanks in advance for any input!

Cheers,

Jay

Where there's a still, there's a way.

Thanks much for that! I found the thread from Feb 03 right after I posted, but I hadn't made it to the older one yet. Sounds to me like this is one I couldn't go wrong with, regardless of which bottling I choose. Decisions, decisions.... :hmmm: The prices here (Germany, btw) aren't bad - starting at Euro 14,99/liter for the Extra Dry 4 y.o. up through Euro 27,99 for a 0.7 liter bottle of the Centenario 12.

Thanks again,

Jay

Where there's a still, there's a way.

Thanks much for that!  I found the thread from Feb 03 right after I posted, but I hadn't made it to the older one yet.  Sounds to me like this is one I couldn't go wrong with, regardless of which bottling I choose.  Decisions, decisions.... :hmmm: The prices here (Germany, btw) aren't bad - starting at Euro 14,99/liter for the Extra Dry 4 y.o. up through Euro 27,99 for a 0.7 liter bottle of the Centenario 12.

Thanks again,

Jay

Well, now, that's a horse of a different colour. Where in Germany are you? PM is ok. :cool:

Out here in California , the 4 year old Flor de Cana is the " best buy " (~11$ vs. ~15$ for the 5 year old ).

I used to get the 4 year old for 4$ a bottle at the Tegucigalpa (Honduras' Capital ) airport , back when I used to work for a shrimp hatchery ( Honduran based ) in the Florida Keys . The really good stuff is " Centenario 21 " in the blue bottle with gold leaf lettering . That stuff is truely " nectare of the gods" .