• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Petite Cafe

LARUE

:biggrin: I know that you will love the Petite Cafe. I started going a few months ago, I wrote (njchick) about it. I have gone there several times since. It has a very NYC chicness (This that a word??), but also a very homey welcome feeling!!

I am so surprized that none of you foodies have been there yet.

By the way Larue - it is BYO.

Have a Great Time!!!

Having grown up in Nutley and lived there for 40 years ago, I used to pass the building. in which The Petite Cafe is housed, each day on my way to school. When I was a kid it was a hairdresser for the blue haired lady, crowd, then a psuedo antique store, then a beauty supply store, and now this restaurant. I hear so much about the place but each time I walk by the place is empty. Wish someone could convince me to give this old beauty parlour a try because I would love to have a great restaurant close by, which I could walk to. The Franklin steakhouse and Italian place across the street are ok, yet not worth the lines outside.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

I agree with njfoodie, I believe that the food can rival any restaurant in Montclair. Everytime I go, I always go for the specials, they are innovative and absolutely delicious.

By the way, I went on Friday without a reservation, and I had to wait for a table.

We went to the Petite Cafe. And it was a pure delight. When we sat down - the hostess handed us our menus along with a copy of the specials and we read along with her while she explained it. I loved that, it really gave me a chance to really study the specials - it was so hard to decide. But if finally did and I had Monkfish Winter Fricasse with Fresh Thyme Buerre Rouge, My friends had the Short Ribs with Oyster Mushroom Marsala, and the Chicken Zingara.

Everything was cooked to perfection, the flavoring was amazing - you could tell a lot of care went into the dishes, and the service was very attentive.

I highly recommend it, it was a very nice surprize, considering everything in the Nutley area is Italian, I am not really sure why they chose that location, but I am glad they did.

I highly recommend it, it was a very nice surprize, considering everything in the Nutley area is Italian

Yeah...yeah...yeah...us Nutley-ite's...if it's not an Italian restaurant/pizzeria its a hair and nail salon or cellular phone store... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Having grown up in town and still having many friends and family there I almost always end up at either Franklin Steak House or Terrazza when I am in the area, but after hearing all of the positive feedback I am very anxious to try this place.

A.D.S.

Anthony, let me know if you have a Thursday and maybe we can check out this place. Is there a bar there? I always find hanging at the bar gives you a better vibe of what the place is like. If anyone is interested I sugest we check out this place. I find it very hyped up on other web sites to get people to try it. Never forget we restaurant owners will look to hype our places whenever possible and the internet is very cheap advertising. :hmmm:

Lou

I find it very hyped up on other web sites to get people to try it. Never forget we restaurant owners will look to hype our places whenever possible and the internet is very cheap advertising.  :hmmm:

sure. and this type of thing is usually done by people who have no presence on the website in question to begin with. one has to wonder if those tactics work?

Lou - I most certainly will make a Thursday available to give this place a try - waiting for Spring would also be fine as at this time of year I struggle to find any free time! Although they don't have a bar, there is certainly no reason that we couldn't begin a few doors down at Terrazza for a cocktail and end up across the street at Franklin Steak House for another. I would not be doing my hometown justice if I did not offer to give the full area tour. :biggrin: I plan to be in to your place sometime soon so maybe we'll catch a moment to chat and discuss further...

A.D.S.

Hmmmm, bar crawl. :shock:

O.K.

Any public transportation from that area toward Morristown area?

If not I can always get a town car. Let me know, I'm good to go.

Make sure you call me when you're coming to The Grill.

Lou

I had an excellent halibut dish at Petite Cafe - I recall being pleased with both the food and service. The only negative I could see was the atmosphere - it was empty on a Saturday night & the room has the feel of a converted & dressed up deli. I would go back for a casual weekday meal.

Any public transportation from that area toward Morristown area?

Hmmm...public transportation to/from Nutley...I am sure I have seen a bus or two drive through town but I would have absolutely no idea where nor when it was coming from or going to... :huh:

A.D.S.

Not an easy connection, however, you can take the NJ Transit train to Newark and then take the 74 bus to Nutley. This can be a very long commute but is one of the only ones I know of.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!