• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with Jean Trimbach

dlc

I was fortunate enought this week to have dinner with Jean Trimbach and taste most of their new releases. We had the following:

1993 Gewurzt. Cuvee des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre

1996 Pinot Gris Reserve Personelle

1997 Gewurzt. Vendage Tardive

1998 Reisling Cuvee Frederic Emile

1998 Reisling Clos St. Hune

2000 Gewurzt.

2000 Reisling

2000 Reserve Pinot Gris

The stars of the night for me were the Frederic Emile and the Pinot Gris Reserve Personelle. The FE had a wonderful typical reisling nose with a touch of botrytis. I thought that is was an older vintage at the first because of the complexity of the nose. I was vinified dry with a wonderful acidity, hints of peaches and apples on the nose and a great match for a caramelized onion and brie tart. I have been a longtime fan of there Pinot Gris and think that the regular bottling is a superb wine at a really good price. I think that the PG Reserve Personelle (almost double the price of the regular bottling) was also showing well. Again great forward fruit with a freshness and acidity that makes this a great food wine.

The Clos St. Hune was infanticide. It was closed and very difficult to appreciate at first. By the end of the meal it had opened up and will in 5-6 years be a spectacular wine.

I think that Trimbach's metnod of not using oak and bottle aging prior to release is the reason I find a wonderful fresh fruit and crisp acidity in there wines. I believe that this is also why I enjoy the so much with most any type of food

Edited by dlc (log)

I think that Trimbach's metnod of not using oak and bottle aging prior to release is the reason I find a wonderful fresh fruit and crisp acidity in there wines. I believe that this is also why I enjoy the so much with most any type of food

Well it certainly guarantees that the wines that have the ability to will be closed. Which is why that Clos St. Hune was undrinkable.