• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

proofing baskets

kcd

Well, DH is starting to make bread with a certain seriousness. I think we may need some proofing baskets.

However, I also know that the "gadget gene" looms large in both of us.

What do you think? Worth the investment? Wicker or plastic? Liner or no liner? A brand or feature to look for?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

she-who-eats-bread (cheese and wine and olives) hmmm yumm

" Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force."--Dorothy L. Sayers.

As someone who just turned 50, I look forward to this state-of-being.

Depends on the bread you are making, and the effect you want.

You want the basket (banneton, brotform) to be somewhat porous, as the slight drying helps with crust formation, but strong enough to provide support for the soft dough.

For baguettes, a traditional linen fold (on a tray for easy handling) is best.

Personally I always use baskets lined with linen.

Coiled basket will leave definite paterns on the bread, woven ones less so.

Mine came from the people who supplied my wood-fired oven shell: http://www.fourgrandmere.com/ Bannetons, long or round are listed under Gourmet -> Accessories

Other suppliers include the San Francisco Baking Institute

http://www.sfbi.com/oc.shtml

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Chris,

The Bread Baker's Guild Of America

www.bbga.org

was selling baskets as a fundraiser for $10 each. I'm not sure if they still are. If not, contact the San Francisco Baking Institute.

www.sfbi.com

I'm not sure what you mean by Frieling baskets, but SFBI is a good source for smallwares. Unfortunately, they do not have an online store, but you can phone them and a sales representative will help you. If you don't get anywhere with them, PM me.

Well, DH is starting to make bread with a certain seriousness.  I think we may need some proofing baskets.

However, I also know that the "gadget gene" looms large in both of us.

What do you think?  Worth the investment?  Wicker or plastic?  Liner or no liner?  A brand or feature to look for?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

she-who-eats-bread (cheese and wine and olives) hmmm yumm

kcd, I've used all kinds of baskets that we have around the house and well as ones I bought at Pier 1 (the smell of the store didn't stay in them, thank goodness) At one time they had round and oval linen lined ones for $3.99! If you have a very wet dough line it with a cloth well rubbed with flour. I have some bannetons which were gifts (they are expensive) and they do work fine. We used plastic ones at work and the bakers didn't like the way the dough rose in them but that may be an individual biases. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I use cheap wood baskets from Cash & Carry or Cost Plus World Market. 75 cents a piece. I flour them well, get a nice crusty flour build up then use rice flour to prevent daily sticking. I bang 'em a gainst something to get out excess,and if they fall apart, say every 6 months, I buy more. Very cost effective, and still leaves nice impressions on the dough.

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com