• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining program - iDine

Rail Paul

Katy McLaughlin's article in yesterday's WSJ described several dining programs. One is iDine iDine.

You register a credit card with them. Any time you use that credit card in a participating restaurant, you get cash back on your bill. Typical amount is 20% of the bill, per their website. Costs $49 a year.

Among NJ restaurants in the program are Anthony David in Hoboken, Carriage House at the Paper Mill, Lilac, Papillon and Park Pub (only for off hours) in Nutley, Taste in Bloomfield. Cafe Spain-Dover, Harolds-Parsipp, Manques in MoTown, Brix 67 in Summit, Bahrs in Highlands orcinis in AtlHigh, Peninsula Grill in sea bright. Both Joe & Maggies and Old Mill Inn have 15% and some limits on hours.

Has anybody tried this deal?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

iDine used to be TRANSMEDIA.

We used to use it a lot when we lived in Morris County, but not so much in Bergen.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We use it here in NYC, and sometimes while travelling. I used to check who was on their list, but now it's just lagniappe to get the refund from a place we wanted to eat at anyway. Anything over the fee makes it worth it. Most of their NYC restaurants are from somewhat above middle-of-the-road to way below (although for a brief, memorable period, Le Bernardin was in -- when they redecorated, I think). Idine sends out a national listing every few months -- just got one to cover February to April.

Their system works all right -- we've never had to fight them over a refund we expected. And since they've gone to "registered credit cards" (up to three) instead of their own, it's very easy.

But if we ever stopped getting more back over the course of a year than the fee we're charged, I'd drop it.

Here is the article:

The Coupon That Dare Not Speak Its Name --- Elite Restaurants Resort To Heavy Discounting But Keep It Under the Table

By Katy McLaughlin

1,445 words

6 February 2003

The Wall Street Journal

I can't cut and paste it b/c of the Egullet copyright rules. You have to subscribe to WSJ or belong to a university that subscribes, to get it.

Edited by sara (log)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

We originally got Transmedia for free. Part of the rebate went to PBS and we got a 20% instead of 25% (or something like that) discount. When Transmedia turned into iDine, they attempted to charge us for the annual membership. I called to cancel our account, since we really didn't use it that much. They waived the annual fee and said they'd keep us on as long as we used it so many times a year (or something like that). So, basicly I ignore the fact that we have the program, but a discount still appears on our credit card statement once every month or two. I highly recommend calling to cancel your membership and seeing what they offer you. :wink:

Most of their NYC restaurants are from somewhat above middle-of-the-road to way below (although for a brief, memorable period, Le Bernardin was in -- when they redecorated, I think).  Idine sends out a national listing every few months -- just got one to cover February to April.

Thanks, Suzanne

The list of restaurants is also on the website. They have an opentable type format. You select the area and the date, the system gives you the qualifying places.

In Manhattan 45-62, east side, Jimmy's downtown, Etoile, Django, D'artagnan and about 10 other places are offered. None would be considered top end.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Yeah, that's why I don't pay that much attention to their list. I mean, I go to Les Halles downtown (3 blocks from my house) when it's late and I'm starving but that's not what I would seek out. I'll much sooner check a place on OpenTable than I would on Idine.

Did the article mention how they are a source of funding for restaurants? Years ago, they really used to have the restaurateurs by the cojones; don't know if they still do.

Did the article mention how they are a source of funding for restaurants?

I'll sample the other services mentioned and post on each if they are electron-worthy

edited for consistency

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

rancho gordo

Did the article mention how they are a source of funding for restaurants?  Years ago, they really used to have the restaurateurs by the cojones; don't know if they still do.

They don't conjure up warm feelings. The general perception is that most restaurants that participate with iDine are having financial problems, though not all. The "interest" is exorbitant. It's 2 for 1... you borrow $50,000 and pay back $100,000. The salespeople have a way of rationalizing it to the restaurant, though the facts are the facts.

Now, I thought they stopped giving away discounts and instead give away frequent flyer miles? At least that's the impression I got the last time I met with the salesperson. [she seems to follow me around wherever I work, probably smelling a desperate restaurant :))] Part of her sales ploy was they have a more upscale customer now that they offer frequent flyer miles instead of discounts. Do they offer a choice of a discount or FF miles?

I was a little imprecise, they give you a choice of cash back or frequent flyer miles, but they hyped the 20% cash in their materials.

I don't need any more FFM so I passed that over.

rancho gordo

I signed up for idine and cancelled after a year because I just didn't frequent the restaurants in their program enough. When I called to cancel they told me that I could join their "earn your membership" program in which the first $49.99 of rewards that I would have earned would go towards my membership fee and anything over and above that I would recieve the 20% in credit. This deal is a win-win - cost is nothing and once you spend over $250 at participating restaurants in their program you earn credit. Without even consciously trying I have begun to earn the rewards and to my delight have recently seen 20% of my tab credited on my credit card statement. :smile:

Edited by RockADS21 (log)

A.D.S.

That must be the program to which we switched. Why would anyone pay to be a member?

And iDine certainly makes enough money from the restaurant. I thought it rather comical that part of the sales pitch was offering me a free membership, like they were offering me a bribe or something.