• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

braising question

mikeczyz

No cover means more and quicker reduction of the cooking liquid. That's about it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Should braising always be done with a tightly covered lid?  This is what I have done in the past, but recently came across some recipes that called for leaving the lid slightly ajar or covering the pot with parchment paper.

johnjohn

The nice thing about braising with a cover is that you don't have to pay as much attention to the dish as it's cooking. I prefer to braise without a cover, or to start with a cover and remove it part of the way, through, because the liquids evaporate and become more concentrated. If you do it right, you don't need to reduce at all at the end, because the liquid reduces slowly throughout the cooking process.

• 8 months later...

braising season is back and i'm kicking it off with a pot roast. my question is about adding pigs trotters to the pot. i've seen a few recipes that add them for extra gelatin and collagens that eventually lead to a 'silkier' final sauce. since i don't wanna go out and find pigs trotters, can i add a few oxtails instead? i hear those are loaded with gelatins and such. and they taste great!

mike

Do you live anywhere near a "Chinatown?" I am usually able to find cut up pig's feet in Chinese butcher shops.

I'm sure you could use oxtails. My only caveat would be that you might want to start the oxtails several hours before putting in the potroast meat. Oxtails take forever before they start to give up their goodness and become tender. I personally find that potroast is best if it is only braised long enough to melt the connective tissue. If it goes much longer I find it overly dry and in need of a sauce as opposed to complemented by a sauce (this is one problem I have always had with the "leave it in the crock pot all day on low" method). This is especially true of pot roast cuts that don't have a great deal of internal fat.

Just braised some short ribs last weekend in the crock pot. They turned out awesome, and I simply sat them in a foil-wrapped pan in a warming oven while I strained/defatted/reduced the braising liquid and then mounted it with butter. Worked like a charm. Tons of flavor, nice consistency and mouthfeel.

--

I'm at work so I don't have any cooking reference books handy, but Webster's says braising is cooking "slowly with fat and a little liquid." Here are a couple of quotes from the Q&A:

I will put in a plug for the book, there are some killer braises in there, including some high-heat stuff that is just amazing. Leg of lamb at 400 degrees for 5 hours!

and from a recipe for mushroom pot roast:

cover Dutch oven with tight-fitting lid and place in 450-degree oven. Cook until meat is easily pierced with sharp fork, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Every 30 minutes, turn meat and stir liquid mixture. If liquid begins to dry out, add up to 1 cup water, little at a time, to keep from scorching.

So if you take 'slowly' to mean a long time, then these are braising. I'll take russ' word that the results are good, but I'm curious to try the technique.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Sounds interesting, although I have a hard time understanding how anything inside the tightly closed Dutch oven could be any warmer than 212 F -- the 450 F oven temperature notwithstanding.

Now that I think about it, I use a "high heat braising" technique myself when I make the Marchegiano dish pollo (or, better yet, coniglio) in fricò. The meat is browned in a pan over high heat; some garlic, rosemary and juniper berries are added; local white wine is poured in, but only enough to make a small layer on the bottom of the pan, and the pan is covered; the pan is kept on high heat and the wine is replenished "piano a piano" as it evaporates; when the bottle is empty, the dish is done.

--

Sounds interesting, although I have a hard time understanding how anything inside the tightly closed Dutch oven could be any warmer than 212 F -- the 450 F oven temperature notwithstanding.

I agree in principle, but it also depends a lot on how much liquid there is and how "tightly closed" the lid is. If the pressure inside is high or the liquid has all become steam, it can get hotter.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I agree in principle, but it also depends a lot on how much liquid there is and how "tightly closed" the lid is. If the pressure inside is high or the liquid has all become steam, it can get hotter.

Well... yes. But I can't imagine that the lid could possibly be so tightly closed that the temperature would rise much above, say, 230 F.

--