• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good and bad in Dubai

wgallois

Taste of Dubai is in town, anybody going? I have been to a couple in london and enjoyed last years Taste. It is quite a pleasant evening...

Hey Pieman27,

I attended Taste of Dubai. Fab evening but I found the food a bit expensive. The food was also a bit of a hit and miss. I was completely disappointed with Verre (Gordon Ramsay's restaurant) as they charged Dhs40 for their braised beef topside with sauteed celeriac and cep veloute and it was extremely dry and chewy. On the other hand, Gary Rhode's Mezzanine did a fabulous braised beef with fondant potatoes and caramelised onions and the Devonshire clotted cream pannacotta was amazing! Loads of freebie stuff as well. The Bateel dates stall with their date-based products was really good.

I'm a pastry chef and to find those who have actually baked a cake from scratch is a difficult thing!

I can bake a cake from scratch, think I can get in for some experience on the weekends?

:biggrin:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I'm a pastry chef and to find those who have actually baked a cake from scratch is a difficult thing!

I can bake a cake from scratch, think I can get in for some experience on the weekends?

:biggrin:

Just for experience? Nah. The kitchen is too small. Only the serious and dedicated needing full time work need apply! :wink:

• 8 months later...

I'm looking for a restaurant recommendation tonight. Something local -- there seems to be no Dubai cuisine, so I'll take Syrian, Lebanese, Moroccan, Iranian, etc. suggestions. I'm staying at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, but I can take a taxi anywhere.

Is this list from the NY Times worthwhile?

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/middle-east/united-arab-emirates/dubai/restaurants.html

Thanks,

Bruce