• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heating a non-stick surface without oil

memesuze

Considering all the admonitions and warnings about not heating up a nonstick-surfaced pan unless there is at least a bit of oil in it, can anyone explain why I shouldn't be concerned that the underside of my nonstick grill/griddle pan is being heated up sans oil?

I've never heard an explanation of the science behind the admonition - merely assumed that it had something to do with poisonous fumes. But what about the underside?

Or should I just throw it away and spring for that cast iron one I can injure myself with?

memesuze

Go for cast iron.

But nonstick is good for eggs.

Heating nonstick sans oil will cause the nonstick surface to peel.

No such surface on underside of pan.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It's simply not true that you shouldn't heat up a nonstick pan without oil. I do it all the time. (That's what they're designed for.) Where did you hear this? The potential for trouble with non-stick coatings is actually much greater if you use oil than if you don't.

Now, you may have problems if you heat up a non-stick pan on too high a heat, regardless of whether you use oil or not. Keep your flame to medium, and you should be fine.

I don't care for the double sided non-stick grill/griddles myself, because to me it defeats the purpose of having a grill if you can't heat it up nice and hot (which you can't with non-stick). Non-stick griddles, though, are wonderful things for pancakes and grilled cheese sandwiches.

If you have a choice, go for two pieces: a cast iron grill pan, and a non-stick griddle.

It's simply not true that you shouldn't heat up a nonstick pan without oil. I do it all the time. (That's what they're designed for.) Where did you hear this? .....

I'm pretty sure I heard Sara Moulton say it on foodtv.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Sara's not the only one to say this on Foodtv and on PBS - I have heard it echoed by probably at least five other chefs. They don't use lots of oil, just a bit. And I have one of those reversible grill on one side, griddle on the other, each with nonstick surfaces. I do think I'll spring for a one-sided grill pan, anyway. I can see the advantage to keeping the griddle for quantities of pancakes. I never have gotten the hand of cooking pancakes on the top of my Chambers broiler lid, as my father did many Sunday mornings.

memesuze

Sara's not the only one to say this on Foodtv and on PBS - I have heard it echoed by probably at least five other chefs.

memesuze

Hmmm. I don't have a TV, which is probably why I've never heard it. I do work in a cookware store, and have sat through numerous product demos given by reps from the various cookware manufacturers, and not one of them ever mentioned that. None of the books I have that talk about non-stick cookware mention it either. One of them (The New Cook's Catalogue) specifically mentions cooking with "little or no" oil in them.

It's not that I never use oil in my non-stick skillets, but I certainly don't use it all the time. In fact, I ruined one non-stick skillet I had by trying to shallow fry some tortilla chips in it -- the oil bonded to the inside of the skillet and formed a sticky crud that I couldn't remove (that was quite a while ago, and is part of the reason that I'm much more careful with my non-sticks and oil now).

Looks like it's time for more research.