• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownies – The Topic

Saffy

Brownies gathered from a previous thread. :smile:

Has anyone made any of these brownies? Can you tell me a bit about them? I would love to have a great brownie recipe in my repertoire, but haven't been able to master one yet. I am looking for a moist, chewy brownie with a light crust on top. Just like mom used to make..........

I've made Elizabeth's Ultimate Brownie recipe twice, and it rocks!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I just looked at Elizabeth's brownie recipe. Those look awesome! My favorite brownies are the kind that are somewhat cakey (but not too!) and frosted. Unfrosted brownies, no matter how fudgy, bore me. They have to be either frosted or marbled with cream cheese or peanut butter.

I just looked at Elizabeth's brownie recipe.  Those look awesome!  My favorite brownies are the kind that are somewhat cakey (but not too!) and frosted.  Unfrosted brownies, no matter how fudgy, bore me.  They have to be either frosted or marbled with cream cheese or peanut butter.

The great thing about Elizabeth's recipe is that the brownies are frosted upside down, so you still get to taste that nice crust!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

At the bottom of some pile somewhere I've got the old Alice's Restaurant cook book -- as in the Arlo Guthrie song. I wonder if they have a brownie recipe. I'll have to check later.

"You can get anything you want . . ."

Edited by JFLinLA (log)
So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 2 months later...

A chocolatier pal of mine let me taste an exquisite "xocolatl" imported from Sicily which was a very thin, deep, dark chocolate bar that snapped when he broke off a piece for me...he told me to taste it and decide what was added to the chocolate...it was gorgeous! The answer: black pepper. I have seen quite a few chocolate dessert recipes with chile powder (sometimes ancho chile), but I thought...wow, BLACK pepper in a dense, dark brownie, dredged in cocoa powder....and it worked! They were great! The black pepper doesn't distract from the chocolate taste at all, it just seems to deepen and enhance it.

Here is my description of my favorite:

Slightly soft and warm brownie with chopped nuts (a must!). I also put ganache on top for an extra helping of sin.

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

My ideal brownie is somewhere between fudgy and cakey; includes brown sugar for fudgy flavor and chewiness; contains six ounces of unsweetened chocolate (for an 8"-square panful) for extra-chocolatey flavor; is baked with wet, metallic-fabric cake-strips wrapped around the outer walls of the pan so that the edges do not dry out; and contain walnuts, which must be toasted.

Walnuts only; no other nuts will do.

Nutless is all right but not as exciting.

Cream-cheese swirls just get lost in a truly chocolatey brownie, so why bother?

Chocolate chips are pointless over-kill.

Fruit flavors, as in raspberry swirls, are bothersome.

A two-tier brownie of chocolate-over-peanut-butter is good.

My ideal brownie is somewhere between fudgy and cakey; includes brown sugar for fudgy flavor and chewiness; contains six ounces of unsweetened chocolate (for an 8"-square panful) for extra-chocolatey flavor; is baked with wet, metallic-fabric cake-strips wrapped around the outer walls of the pan so that the edges do not dry out; and contain walnuts, which must be toasted.

And what is your favorite recipe Browniebaker?

Has anyone ever seen the recipe for brownies layer (topped?) with Andes mints?  I saw one a ways back but didn't save it...Always thought it would be a nice combo.

I have a good friend who is an extraordinary baker. She will make her "normal" brownie recipe and pour half of it into the pan. She then places a layer of York Peppermint Patties flat on top of the batter and pours the remaining batter over the mint layer. She bakes them the usual amount of time. The patties don't completely melt and offer a great mint flavor with the chocolate of the brownies. I've had these warm out of the oven and they are wonderful.

She will also do the same with the mini Reese's Peanut butter cups. Yowza!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Has anyone ever seen the recipe for brownies layer (topped?) with Andes mints?  I saw one a ways back but didn't save it...Always thought it would be a nice combo.

I have a good friend who is an extraordinary baker. She will make her "normal" brownie recipe and pour half of it into the pan. She then places a layer of York Peppermint Patties flat on top of the batter and pours the remaining batter over the mint layer. She bakes them the usual amount of time. The patties don't completely melt and offer a great mint flavor with the chocolate of the brownies. I've had these warm out of the oven and they are wonderful.

She will also do the same with the mini Reese's Peanut butter cups. Yowza!

Your friend must be Maida Heatter - lucky you! :rolleyes: But seriously, I don't know who came up with this first but it is in both Maida's Chocolate book and her "Brand New" cookie book. She calls them "Palm Beach Brownies with Chocolate Covered Mints".

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

How'd you know I bake brownies?

Here's my and my family's favorite. How this differs from many brownie recipes: large amount of chocolate (for flavor, body, chewiness); bread flour (for substance and chewiness); light-brown sugar (for fudginess and chewiness); and baking soda (for a little lift, resulting in something between fudgy and cakey). This is a thick, chewy, very chocolatey brownie.

6 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate

3/4 cup unsalted butter

1-3/4 cups packed light brown sugar

3 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-1/4 cups bread flour (using dip-and-sweep method of measuring)

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts (optional)

Position oven-rack at center of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Microwave chocolate and butter until melted, stirring periodically to distribute heat. Stir in sugar until no lumps remain. Stir in eggs and vanilla, just until blended. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold flour mixture into wet mixture, just until blended. Fold in walnuts (if using). Spread evenly into light-colored aluminum 8” square cheesecake pan. Wrap soaking-wet Magi-Cake strips around walls of pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes (30 to 35 minutes if not using wet strips), just until center has risen and fallen and is firm to the touch and wooden tester inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Remove from oven. If center of cake subsides and is lower than edges, gently press edges down with spatula so that cake is level. Lightly score surface into 16 squares with plastic knife. Cool in pan to room temperature. Remove from pan. Cut into 16 squares with plastic knife. For chewier texture, let sit overnight before serving. Serve at room temperature. Makes 16 brownies.

Here's my and my family's favorite...

Thanks for the recipe!

A couple of questions, though:

1) What the heck are "Magi-Cake strips" :blink: and what store can I find them in? Would a water bath be a good substitution?

2) You mentioned pouring the batter into the pan but made no mention if the pan is greased & floured. If the pan isn't, do the brownies stick or do they come out easily?

Tim Oliver

How'd you know I bake brownies?

Here's my and my family's favorite. How this differs from many brownie recipes: large amount of chocolate (for flavor, body, chewiness); bread flour (for substance and chewiness); light-brown sugar (for fudginess and chewiness); and baking soda (for a little lift, resulting in something between fudgy and cakey). This is a thick, chewy, very chocolatey brownie.

6 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate

3/4 cup unsalted butter

1-3/4 cups packed light brown sugar

3 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-1/4 cups bread flour (using dip-and-sweep method of measuring)

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts (optional)

Position oven-rack at center of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Microwave chocolate and butter until melted, stirring periodically to distribute heat. Stir in sugar until no lumps remain. Stir in eggs and vanilla, just until blended. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold flour mixture into wet mixture, just until blended. Fold in walnuts (if using). Spread evenly into light-colored aluminum 8” square cheesecake pan. Wrap soaking-wet Magi-Cake strips around walls of pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes (30 to 35 minutes if not using wet strips), just until center has risen and fallen and is firm to the touch and wooden tester inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Remove from oven. If center of cake subsides and is lower than edges, gently press edges down with spatula so that cake is level. Lightly score surface into 16 squares with plastic knife. Cool in pan to room temperature. Remove from pan. Cut into 16 squares with plastic knife. For chewier texture, let sit overnight before serving. Serve at room temperature. Makes 16 brownies.

Thanks for the recipe. :smile:

Do you grease the pan? Not all brownie recipes require this.. so please let me know.

What do I do if I do not have those magi-strips???

Here's my and my family's favorite...

Thanks for the recipe!

A couple of questions, though:

1) What the heck are "Magi-Cake strips" :blink: and what store can I find them in? Would a water bath be a good substitution?

2) You mentioned pouring the batter into the pan but made no mention if the pan is greased & floured. If the pan isn't, do the brownies stick or do they come out easily?

Magi-Cake is a brand-name for the spongy metallic-fabric strips that are soaked in water and wrapped around the outside of cake pans to minimize doming by keeping the edges of the batter from setting much sooner than the center. I use these to equalize the texture between the edges and center, to keep the edges from drying out before the center is done. Other brands of cake strips are made, too; Wilton makes them. You can easily find cake strips at baking supply stores. Some retailers that sell these are Baker's Catalog, Fante's, Sur La Table, Kitchen Etc., and even craft stores like A.C. Moore.

As the recipe states, you don't have to use these strips; just bake for 30 to 35 minutes instead of 50 to 55 minutes.

A water bath is not a substitute for the strips. A water bath would change the texture of the brownies to something else entirely. Gummy, I should think.

I don't grease and flour the pan; the large amount of butter makes it unnecessary, but, then again, I use (and the recipe calls for) a square cheesecake pan from which brownies (1) are easily removed with the removable bottom and (2) emerge with perfectly square corners, even the corner pieces. I use Parrish's Magic-Line cheesecake pans for almost all my cake-baking, just for the ease of removal; the bottom is simply pushed up and out of the pan, with the cake still resting on it. This makes cutting the brownies easy and neat.

If you use a regular pan without a removable bottom, you might want to grease (but not flour), for ease of removal. In fact, I've decided that I am going to revise the recipe in the egullet recipe archives to call for greasing, just in case someone uses a regular pan; can't hurt.

BTW, what I used to do before I bought square cheesecake pans was to line the regular square pan with aluminum foil so that the edges overhung the walls of the pan, then grease the foil as well as the exposed two interior walls of the pan. After the brownies were baked and cooled in the pan, I lifted the whole cake out using the two overhanging pieces of foil.

Also, note that I specify a light-colored pan. The light color is another factor in keeping the edge of the batter from setting much sooner than the center and thus keeping the edges from drying out before the center is done. If you use a dark-colored pan, you might ewant to check for doneness sooner than specified, as the batter will bake more quickly.

I guess you can tell from my special tools and tactics that I am something of a nut about brownie-baking?

Golly, by now you are probably sorry you asked for my recipe. I hope none of these special tools and tactics discourages you from trying the recipe. Just bake these brownies without cake strips in a greased square pan and they will do just fine.

Edited by browniebaker (log)

A water bath is not a substitute for the strips. A water bath would change the texture of the brownies to something else entirely. Gummy, I should think.

A while back under the influence of a flash of inspiration, I scraped my brownie recipe into a round cake pan lined with parchment, covered it with a double layer of foil and steamed it for an hour.

It was the densest, fudgiest cake in the history of the world. Warmed slightly, served with ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream and raspberry coulis, it was an ultimate experience. My daughter's boyfriend even remarked on it, and he's not into chocolate desserts.

When it comes to brownies, I like 'em with a few mini pepperminet patties baked into the middle. *drool* :9 (Where are drooling and lip-smacking icons when you need them?)

I tend to prefer making a Texas sheet cake though, as it seems to be the perfect combination of gooey brownie and moist cake with a HEAVENLY fudgey icing. I can post the recipe if anyone would like it. I got it from the Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2001 (or maybe 2002, I can't remember, it's got a pink cover).

Mmmmm...now I'm hungry. I think I may have to go home tonight and chocolatize. :biggrin:

Sherri A. Jackson

I tend to prefer making a Texas sheet cake though, as it seems to be the perfect combination of gooey brownie and moist cake with a HEAVENLY fudgey icing...

My mom made a batch of her "Texas Brownies" for our Labor Day (U.S.) family dinner and they were as delicious as always. The icing is great (stick around when they're being made and you can lick the still-warm icing remains from the bowl...yowza!).

Nothing hits the spot or goes better with some french vanilla ice cream on a warm August weekend than a good batch of "Texas Brownies".

Yummers. :biggrin:

Tim Oliver

Earlier this week I tried a completely different brownie recipe. It's by far my favorite brownie recipe. I adjusted the nut flours to even amounts, covered it in a chocolate ganache (75% chocolate 25% cream) and cooled it in an icewater bath.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have a decent recipe for brownies using milk chocolate? Something with a yield of 20-30 6 oz portions? Please I'm Desperate! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Click here for a previous thread on brownies. I think, however, most of the recipes in the discussion use cocoa, not milk chocolate.

Tim Oliver