• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownies – The Topic

Saffy

I tried to post this recipe in the archive, but it wouldn't let me enter more than one ingredient.

Extra-chocolatey brownies

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

4 ounces butter

1-1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup all-purpose flour

chopped or broken nuts (optional)

chocolate chips (optional)

Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave at 50%. Stir in the sugar, then the eggs, the vanilla, the salt and the flour. Add as much nuts and chocolate chips as you like. Scrape into an 8x8 to 9x13 (depending on how thin and crusty you want them) baking dish lined with a piece of parchment that overhangs. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until firm around the edges and beginning to congeal in the center, but still soft. (Begin checking at 25 minutes.) When completely cold, lift by the paper from the dish onto a cutting board, and cut with a French knife.

Variation

I have always been a person who favors the 'filet' over the crusty exterior pieces. I discovered when I had no working oven for an extended period of time that you can steam brownies (works best with no nuts or chips). When they are cold, they can be cut into small pieces (they are very rich, rivalling the best flourless chocolate cake) and plated with ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, raspberry coulis, etc.

I added your recipe to the archive. It's now part of the Brownie group!

When you were trying to enter your ingredients, did you push the insert ingredients buttons?

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I tried all the buttons, nothing happened.

Right under the space for introduction, there should be a line that says something like "have a list of ingredients? Try adding ingredients with the "Ingredient Wizard." All you should have to do is click on the words (button) "Ingredient Wizard." Maybe your browser doesn't support this? Vengroff, any ideas?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I tried all the buttons, nothing happened.

Right under the space for introduction, there should be a line that says something like "have a list of ingredients? Try adding ingredients with the "Ingredient Wizard." All you should have to do is click on the words (button) "Ingredient Wizard." Maybe your browser doesn't support this? Vengroff, any ideas?

I had this problem too and after discussing it with vengroff we found out it was the browser (nestcape) that I was using. If I access it through Internet explorer I have no problem.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I use netscape, too. I find a lot of websites are not fully functional with netscape.

It doesn't make me want to open IE, though.

No problem. I'm usually on the prowl through out the site for recipes, so you can either post them on the thread and I'll get them into the archive, or PM me the recipe and tell me what thread you'd like the link posted in. I'd hate for the members to miss out on a great recipe, because your browser won't function properly :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 1 month later...
B. Toklas?

:shhhhhhhhhhhhh:

:whispers: I'm trying to be subtle.

And what else are you trying to be by using the word "receipt" instead of "recipe"? :raz:

Pompous. :raz:

Hee Hee Hee.

Cool.

I'm googling and not having any luck. Then again, I could be using the wrong Alice. Doesn't Alice Cooper make brownies?

I was after the Toklas receipt due to curiosity. As I noted above, the receipt was deleted from the American edition that I have. And, of course, the American introduction talks about that. Of course, I wondered what the deal was.

You can G**gle for it easily enough. But, IMHO, don't bother.

But if you want to share some good brownie recipes, keep this thread going! :smile:

Brownies  gathered from a previous thread. :smile:

Has anyone made any of these brownies? Can you tell me a bit about them? I would love to have a great brownie recipe in my repertoire, but haven't been able to master one yet. I am looking for a moist, chewy brownie with a light crust on top. Just like mom used to make..........

Practice Random Acts of Toasting