• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownies – The Topic

Saffy

Sharfenberger or Callebaut make good brownies. Sharfenberger is a very serious new chocolate maker trying to produce chocolate at a very high level, in the French style. Callebaut is the basic Belgian chocolate, not quite as intense or, some would say, distinctive. For those who love the fruity, complex tastes and aromas of Valrhona, Callebaut will seem too simple. There are times, though, when I prefer that simplicity. Callebaut is my standard baking chocolate unless I'm going for a French-style dessert of some sort and want the added complexity.

Ghiradelli is not in the same class. For me, it has an inappropriate waxiness that I think is due to the very long conching process they are so proud of.

Sharfenberger or Callebaut make good brownies.  Sharfenberger is very serious new chocolate maker trying to produce chocolate at a very high level, in the French style.  Callebaut is the basic Belgian chocolate, not quite as intense or, some would say, distinctive.  For those who love the fruity, complex tastes and aromas of Valrhona, Callebaut will seem too simple.  There are times, though, when I prefer that simplicity.  Callebaut is my standard baking chocolate unless I'm going for a French-style dessert of some sort and want the added complexity.

I will now open the package and taste some.

Thanks Sandra!

I was worried that Scharffen Berger was not at par with Callebaut.

I love Valrhona and have been so used to just using it for everything that I hardly ever teach myself about new brands...

What would I do without eGullet. :smile:

Hi Suvir,

I make the best-ever brownies an a nonstick 9X9-inch square T-fal pan purchased specifically for brownies. I believe I cook them for 23 minutes as stipulated in the recipe.  :smile:

I will go buy one of those pans. I have been making them in a 8x8 inch glass pan. They are thick and so need extra time to cook.

Thanks for the quick response.

I have been sworn to never give out this Brownie recipe I have in my desk. The recipe is called Judith Beasley's Brownies.

Does anyone know what the origin of this recipe could be?

Also it has nuts and coconut in it. Two things I have never liked in brownies. I am going to try the recipe now.

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about this recipe? Or even if they are remotely known.

So I just finished making the brownies. They look nice. Very different in color from the "Best ever brownies" I have become used to.

They are sitting in a ice-water bath (thanks Heyjude!) and seem to be doing well and do smell very nice.

But I am still wondering who these brownies are named after. Any clue? Anyone?

Define 'invent.'

And if you saw the dust bunnies under my couch, you'd know I'm no homemaker.

But you are reputed to give people beautiful jars with some tasty home made stuff as gifts... Most reputed home-makers cannot even do that...

You are certainly more than you make yourself out to be. :wink:

Ghirardelli Double Fudge Brownie Mix

I was wondering when someone was going to post about brownies, the number one dessert of all time. Before you call me a philistine, consider giving this mix a try. Believe me, I am a food snob [oops, edit, food-OLOGIST]--I could not believe I was actually using a mix--but these are very good brownies, and so easy it's criminal--I get the family size box from BJ's and keep it in the pantry for emergencies.

ON THE OTHER HAND when I want to treat myself with the respect I deserve I make scratch brownies following the recipe on the back of the Baker's chocolate box [using European butter, for example] but substituting the Baker's with another [better] brand of baking chocolate, whatever I am able to get. I add chopped walnuts and sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar. These brownies are very rich and very moist.

ChocoChris, I know there's a mint-topped brownie in one of Maida Heatter's books. I'll check this evening, and if there is I'm happy to scan & e-mail it to you.

Suvir dear, on another thread recently I claimed to be a goddess...so I'm actually less than I make myself out to be. :wink:

Has anyone ever seen the recipe for brownies layer (topped?) with Andes mints?  I saw one a ways back but didn't save it...Always thought it would be a nice combo.

Not exactly brownies with Andes mints, but Fine Cooking's Aug/Sept 2002 has a recipe for Peppermint Brownies that look heavenly. The mint is actually infused into the batter with a combo of peppermint tea leaves and peppermint extract, they are then topped with a semi-sweet and white chocolate glaze.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I've been spending all day, every day, on my kitchen remodel project. Today, nothing went right. The tools didn't work or weren't where they should be, I encountered problem after problem, so I went to e-gullet and saw the brownie thread. I biked to the library, checked out Baking with Julia, and made the Best Ever Brownies. While they were cooling, I shop-vac-ed the kitchen, put all of the tools where they belong, fixed my sander (yes, I did it myself!).

Then, I sat down and ate a row (yes, a whole row) of them.

Life is good again.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hhmmm are Julia's really that good? I have been testing a whole slew of recipes lately, but have yet to try hers. I've been on a quest to find the perfect recipe that couples the dense fudginess (without being gooey or too chewy) along with a SLIGHTLY crisp crust, but not so much that it puffs up and then cracks leaving a meringuey layer. NO luck yet! It's either too gooey and chewy, or too cakey, or too much meringue. The funny thing is that the recipe(s) I'm using are all almost identical; I'm just toying with different methods, oven temps, etc. The fact that a single recipe can have such drastically different results is really interesting! But SOOO FRUSTRATING also! I seriously think I've gone through at least 10 batches...call me crazy! :wacko: I just can't stop til I get it right! :biggrin:

-Elizabeth

Mmmmmmm chocolate.

Have you tried the Jan Friedman's Brownies recipe from Maida Heatter's 2nd cookie book? It is somewhat different in preparation/ingredients, and is, I think, closer to what you are looking for. PM me if you want the recipe.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hhmmm are Julia's really that good?  I have been testing a whole slew of recipes lately, but have yet to try hers.  I've been on a quest to find the perfect recipe that couples the dense fudginess (without being gooey or too chewy) along with a SLIGHTLY crisp crust, but not so much that it puffs up and then cracks leaving a meringuey layer.  NO luck yet!

I have been making brownies every other day for the last couple weeks or so.

Julias are amazing. Mrs Beasleys are not brownies but are excellent.

But Julias best ever brownies will give you what you are looking for. And if you do not want them as gooey as some like them, cook them for the longer time they offer in the recipe.

I have to agree with Lesley that it is that salt in them that makes them a winner in my book. The salt comes out in the most sensuous fashion with every bite. It makes the brownies taste that much better.

I've been spending all day, every day, on my kitchen remodel project.  Today, nothing went right.  The tools didn't work or weren't where they should be, I encountered problem after problem, so I went to e-gullet and saw the brownie thread.  I biked to the library, checked out Baking with Julia, and made the Best Ever Brownies.  While they were cooling, I shop-vac-ed the kitchen, put all of the tools where they belong, fixed my sander (yes, I did it myself!).

Then, I sat down and ate a row (yes, a whole row) of them.

Life is good again.

I have gained several inches around my waist and my chin eating Brownies for the last couple of weeks or more.

And yes when I make the best ever brownies, I end up eating piece after piece till I have eaten a row. Then I seal the box again till I am ready for another row. No more than a couple hours later...

They are addictive. And so Chocolatey!