• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownies – The Topic

Saffy

The best brownnies I've ever tasted are the Best Ever Brownies from the Baking with Julia cookbook. Amazing texture with a nice crackled crust, intensely chocolate, and just a bit salty.  :wub:

Was that salty part really meant to be a compliment or are we to read between the lines?? :wink:

Heyjude:  Thanks for the icewater bath tip.

That was a great tip Heyjude! I read it and thought to myself how we would all have to agree it is a perfect tip.. and yet few cookbooks and even chefs have mentioned it before. Thanks! eGullet never stops amazing me.

No, I meant that.

I like brownies to have a slight salty kick. It offsets their candy-like sweetness

Thanks for clarifying that. I was not sure if I was to read that as being tad too salty.

I will try out that recipe. I have the book and have never used it yet. Perfect opportunity. :biggrin:

If you read the weed thread, you will want to read the brownie thread.  Strange. :blink:

Why is that strange? I did read the weed and brownie thread and I'm seriously jonesing... :wacko:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Okay, Suvir, as long as today is Confession Day: I usually make "Double Fudge Brownies" based on the recipe off the package of Nestle's Chocolate Chips. But I make my own additions and changes, and "accidentally on purpose" mess up their instructions. So now it's MY recipe, and here it is:

1 C. granulated sugar

1 C. brown sugar (light or dark)

2/3 C. butter

1/4 C. water

12 oz. (by weight) chopped bittersweet chocolate

2 tsp. vanilla extract

4 eggs

1 1/2 C. AP flour

2 T. cocoa powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 C. chopped nuts or flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 325º F.

Combine sugars, butter, and water in a saucepan. Bring just to boil Remove from heat. Add chocolate and vanilla and stir until chocolate is melted.*

Transfer chocolate mixture to a large bowl.

Beat in eggs one at a time.

Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Add gradually to chocolate mixture.

Blend in nuts or coconut.

Spread in a greased 13" X 9" X 2" pan.

Bake 50 minutes, until done (clean pick in middle).

Cool in pan; cut into squares or rectangles.

(Makes about 48, or some other number depending on how you cut them.)

* Alternate method: melt half of the chocolate, and mix the other half into the batter with the nuts. (This is what the original recipe called for, but I've never done it.)

For about a year now I have been making the recipe from The Best Recipe and really enjoy them, THEN I got Regan Daley's In the Sweet Kitchen and made her Really, REALLY, Fudgy Brownies, these are not for the faint hearted. The absolute best thing about the recipe?

She makes them in a 9X13 inch pan, so there are even more to eat!!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

If here was ever a thread to totally make my discipline slip, this is it. I have actively tried to avoid it, trying to think about my feline mentor, Charlotte Rampling. No. I'm not evem close to being so beautiful, but a couple of (very dear) friends have drawn comparisons, So my raison d'etre is not being maggiethesow.

I could eat an entire pan right here, right now! Brownies are the work of the devil.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

If you read the weed thread, you will want to read the brownie thread.  Strange. :blink:

Why is that strange? I did read the weed and brownie thread and I'm seriously jonesing... :wacko:

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

I'm sorry. Jonesing means craving.

:laugh:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

I'm going to have to try these recipes, though I confess to having very bad luck with making brownies from scratch. Cookies, cakes, and other baked goods come out great but my brownies never seem to be as good as everyone else's. :angry:

I usually keep a couple of boxes of whatever-brownie-mix-is-on-sale in the house for the kids to make whenever they feel like it. Last night my daughter made a batch of Betty Crocker brownies and swirled some raspberry jam into them. Yum! were they good. I even packed a couple for my afternoon tea break.

The edge pieces are definitely the best; corners are divine.

I love those corners too.... yummmm

Definitely agree! Corners rule!

Luckily my kids go straight for the middle. :raz:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I love those corners too.... yummmm

Definitely agree! Corners rule!

Luckily my kids go straight for the middle. :raz:

Can I adopt your kids and send you my adult friends? At least when I bake brownies? :raz: