• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Would Suvir be disappointed?

I can't make sense of this. Didn't someone say they would work tirelessly to ensure this very important forum was kept as vibrant as could be in Suvir's absence?

It's really strange with him not around. I wanted to ask Suvir how he deals with passing on Indian cuisine recipes and methods to interested people when the only communicaton available is voice and speech. No paper to write out ingredients or amounts or methods. No PC and printer and definately no eGullet to hand.

I tried my very best to do this today for a Chef asking how to make Bhuna. In between me being unsure of English names for a few ingredients, babbling into intricate detail causing lengthy digressions, the Chefs enthusiam for clarity, what always seems clear in my mind when executing became a complete, silly mess of information. It was funny/daft, but I felt sure they must have been a better way to get this information over.

For example, when outlining even the simplest step like melting the ghee, I found myself bleathering off about, "Oh...and...remember to season the ghee. I should have mentioned this before. You need to season it with garlic and ginger. Oh, and mixed peppercorns. You should buy some of those, you know...red ones, white ones, black, green....blah blah blah..." This on top of the obvious questions to me like, "What is Haldi? (turmeric) what is Kasuri Methi (fenugreek) what are Zeera seeds (I still can't remember)."

Seeing as how Suvir is away for a wee while on more important matters, I still felt it a question worth asking. I thought it best asked here as it sprang from a conversation about Indian cuisine, but I'd still imagine relates to most Chefs when trying to get ideas and information over to their colleagues, peers and students. How do you get clear, usable information about cooking over verbally?

Well, post some Indian stuff then!

Suvir has been in touch with us, we should know more about his dad in a few days. In the meantime, he wants you guys to be fruitful with posts.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Nah,I hardly have any reason to be disappointed.

You have all been very generous. And I thank each of you.

Cooking can be taught verbally, and actually, most of my training has been that way. It is just as special. Does one need some basic knowledge of cooking to be able to make the most of verbal education, sure.

I will come back to this thread when I have more time.

This is a great thread. I hope the rest of you will give it your time and attention.

Zeera is cumin. :smile:

You have all been very generous.  And I thank each of you.

I am feeling terribly guilty about not holding up my end on this thread but we are in the middle of decorating and renovating and just putting any meal on the table is an accomplishment. Does entering some of Suvir's recipes on the alpha test site count?

Hope all is going well with you, Suvir and with your father!

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You have all been very generous.  And I thank each of you.

I am feeling terribly guilty about not holding up my end on this thread but we are in the middle of decorating and renovating and just putting any meal on the table is an accomplishment. Does entering some of Suvir's recipes on the alpha test site count?

Hope all is going well with you, Suvir and with your father!

Anna N

Anna, you beat me to it. I was going to say, you are holding up for Suvir nicely by entering his recipes on the alpha site. They look great.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Anna, you beat me to it.  I was going to say, you are holding up for Suvir nicely by entering his recipes on the alpha site.  They look great.

Thanks, Marlene - now I can face my day knowing that one strip of wallpaper is hung upside down, I'm now short at least one single roll and it will take at least two weeks to get it! Onwards and upwards - more trim to paint, more tape to apply, more dust to settle. :hmmm:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, you beat me to it.  I was going to say, you are holding up for Suvir nicely by entering his recipes on the alpha site.  They look great.

Thanks, Marlene - now I can face my day knowing that one strip of wallpaper is hung upside down, I'm now short at least one single roll and it will take at least two weeks to get it! Onwards and upwards - more trim to paint, more tape to apply, more dust to settle. :hmmm:

Better you than me! :biggrin: I'm fairly hopeless at that stuff. I'm off towatch my son's skating, then resting my shoulder from it's latest cortisone shot which means no cooking today :biggrin::biggrin: guess I'll just have to spend some time testing vengroff's latest additions to the database. :blink:

Marlene

Clearly, I am missing something.  Where are these recipes to be found?

They aren't ready yet....

Marlene

Clearly, I am missing something.  Where are these recipes to be found?

They aren't ready yet....

Am I missing something? :wink:

Hiya Suvir!

I think that they are referring to the new effort to load in a recipe data base. Some people are working on it - loading in the recipes so that then the rest of us can find them.

I believe Marlene is one of the "loaders-inners" but I'm not sure.

But whatever - HI!!! :biggrin:

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Although I've noticed that each time I think of you and your family and your situation, my computer screen goes all fuzzy.

Or maybe it's just my tears.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Am I missing something? :wink:

Suvir, it was to be a surprise for your return. :biggrin: Well not really, but I'm sure the members want to see you return to a bigger and better eGullet as well as an India board full of life.

You must have missed the thread where Vengroff, who is owed a great thanks for his efort and enthusiasm, noted he has been working on putting together a web-based eGullet recipe archive system that wil integrate with the rest of our software as asked for volunteers to betw test the software. As you've noticed, a few of your fans are helping out, then again that's not surprising, they've infiltrated the entire site with their good deeds and kind words.

I see Jaymes has beaten me to the punch on this while I was helping Esilda format something she was working on. Let me take the chance to wish you, your dad and your family the best from both of us.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

.that's not surprising, they've infiltrated the entire site with their good deeds and kind words.

Who us? :blink: Hey Suvir. Yes we are working on a recipe database. Vengroff has done some amazing work. It's not quite ready yet though, so we aren't talking about it much. But it's going to be pretty cool.

Hope things are well with you and your family. We miss your wisdom and beautiful writing! God bless.

Marlene

Again, I am humbled by each of you and your dedication to making eGullet really special and unique.

It is inspirational and comforting and gives me lots of food for thought. :biggrin:

I look forward to returning to active participation and using Vengroffs special recipe data base.

My thanks to all that have supported his efforts and to those that have taken precious time in ensuring recipes from this forum are part of that data base. My sincere thanks to everyone.

And my thanks to everyone of you on eGullet. As one member correctly noted recently, I have a painful (and annoying to many) way of saying too much. Sorry! But I really am humbled by the generosity of all here. :smile: Nothing I can write will add more, so I shall stop. Words pale in comparison to my feelings of gratitude.