• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction-Friendly Cookware Selection

Deephaven

1 hour ago, Laurentius said:

It's a terribly misleading video from a number of perspectives.  I could go into detail, but there are many doozers told here.

C'mon now, spill it.

If there is a small insert in the pan that does not cover the entire bottom then you will get those results.

Anybody know the diameter of the control freak coil?  I didn't see this spec anywhere.   Here's a picture from their promo video.  I think the marked circle is 9.5".   I also wonder why there is a gap in between the two rings. 

image.png.cafb28feebc78c24208aae7eea84d301.png

Do you think they are support for the Control Freak or support for the web site for their subscription and such?  The product is sold by Breville and their support sucks.  I've been trying to get answers from them for a couple weeks at this point about recommended pans and allowable pan concavity as I grow increasingly suspicious that there is no such thing as a flat pan. 

ChefSteps flogged the heck out of the new CF before it went on sale and their staff was participating in forum chats about it. I doubt ChefSteps would help with a warranty claim but IMHO there is a good chance that they can answer questions. 

ChefSteps has countless videos featuring the CF as the cooktop too, and they may be able to help with questions about cookware. 

It's a contact form. Try it out. If you are not satisfied I apologize in advance for wasting your time with the link. 

Fair enough. 

Is there something wrong with the boiling water test used in that video?  I tried it on a couple pans.  On the Heston nonstick I got a totally even bubbling surface of water.  On the Falk I got a ring of bubbles, which the video would argue is inferior. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johntodd said:

C'mon now, spill it.

It's them, not it.  Where to start?

There's the implication that cast iron is good on induction because a magnet sticks everywhere, with the negative implication that disk based skillets are bad because... wait for it, the sidewall isn't ferromagentic.  In fact, cast iron cookware on induction is much worse than disk base and clad.

Then there's the related silliness about the coil size.  The magnetic field that excites heat within the pan falls off in intensity very, very fast, as in as a function of the inverse of the square root.  This is why there's a hot ring IN THE PAN no matter what you do.  The only thing you can do is thicken the pan with conductive material.  Or stick with small pans and pretend there's not an issue.

Then there's the guest star's induction stove.  It obviously has two concentric coils, so it IS the stove not the pan.

This producer made no mention of detector circuitry and sensors.  Where there are concentric or multiple coils, there are sensors and circuits that limit which coils can energize.  And disk base and skillets are the worst, not because of the pan, but because the sensor can't tell the difference between a skillet and a small saucepan.

The praise for how well clad performs on induction is completely misplaced.  With very rare exceptions, it's got much thinner conductive layers, and therefore hotspots more.  And because it's so thin, there's not enough material to do a good job of moving heat laterally.  Demeter Proline is the glaring counterexample.

It goes on and on from there...

• Like 1

I tried Demeyere proline with the boiling water test and also got a small ring.  I don't understand why I don't at least get two rings given the double ring design of the Control Freak. 

Does the induced field really fall off as 1/sqrt(r)?  That's much slower fall-off than I was expecting. 

1 hour ago, adrianvm said:

I tried Demeyere proline with the boiling water test and also got a small ring.  I don't understand why I don't at least get two rings given the double ring design of the Control Freak. 

Does the induced field really fall off as 1/sqrt(r)?  That's much slower fall-off than I was expecting. 

The detector loop can have idiosychnrasies.  Unless Breville designed with X pan in mind and testing, you just don't know.

Yes.

So it's actually possible that I put a 12.5" skillet on the cook top and it only energizes the inner ring?  That seems like a pretty bad idiosyncracy. 

Tried a Demeyere Atlantis dutch oven that is 9.5" diameter and it also seems like visible boiling is confined to a 6" ring.   I mean, could something be wrong with my unit?   Is there any way I can tell if the outer ring is energized? 

3 hours ago, adrianvm said:

That seems like a pretty bad idiosyncracy. 

The world of induction is full of them.  An early shocking case was that Viking appliances wouldn't work with Le Creuset cast iron.  There's a head-scratcher.

There may be a feature on C.F. that only allows 1, 1800W coil to power up at a time, and how which one's determined is a sensor/software cluster.  Speculation on my part.  The power rating is for the total, so for sure you don't get to have 3600W from a 110VAC circuit.  You think two rings share 900W?

I know this is heresy, but these are hotplates after all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "these are hot plates after all".  Like therefore they cut corners? 

I measured power while heating at it was around 1680W.  Once I got to a boil and turned the temperature down to 225 it bounced between 1300W and 1500W. 

It crossed my mind that if the coils were given equal power then the outer coil, which covers a larger area, would be delivering less power per area to the pan than the smaller inner coil. 

You didn't answer the question of whether there's any reasonable test that could reveal if the outer coil is energized. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "these are hot plates after all".  Like therefore they cut corners? 

Well, yeah.  They're small and portable.   The cases aren't particularly robust, or the ventilation all that powerful.  And the power output is the same as a hair dryer or toaster.

You didn't answer the question of whether there's any reasonable test that could reveal if the outer coil is energized. 

You mean reasonable in the sense of not cracking the case and employing test equipment?

You saw in that video where an outer ring was causing simmering--you could try to duplicate that.  I'd run a progression of increasingly larger-floored pans (meaning ferromagnetic bottoms) and see if there's a point were the bubble pattern changes.

You could also--carefully--try to spoof the sensors by moving pans off-center, or even placing magnetic items barely outside a pan's periphery.

If you do all these kinds of things while monitoring power through a Kill-a-Watt, even better.

This might tell you something, but it might not.  The safety features on these appliances make them quite inscrutable.

On 5/15/2024 at 11:57 AM, adrianvm said:

I also wonder why there is a gap in between the two rings. 

Probably for cooling and non-interference purposes.  Also the field is a torus, so there may not be a need to have further intensity at the gap. 

After thinking about this and seeing multiple photos, I think there is only 1, 1800W coil.