• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can scalded cream be whipped...

Jon Tseng

Slight techy question here.

Have got a bowl of smoked salmon covered in double cream sitting in the fridge. The idea is the salmon flavour infuses into the cream, which is then seperated out, whipped and served in triumph (with other bits and bobs) for supper saturday night.

Suspect, however, a bit of heat might chivvy on the infusion process. My question is if I heat the salmon/cream to a simmer, chuck the salmon and cool the cream can it still be whipped into a stable foam? I know, for example, warm cream can hold a foam but will heating then letting cool do anything to it?

Thx in advance

J

PS and before you ask - I had this idea about seven years ago, long before ferran bloody adria was even a merest fried calamari in the great tapas bar of culinary culture. its just taken me that long to get round to it.

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

While awaiting techie answer from techie eGulleters, I wonder if you've tried taking a bit of the cooked salmon - with the other flavors already baked (or whatever) in - like lemon, dill, etc., and whirling it into paste in a FP, and then folding THAT into the cream while whipping it - maybe along with a little cayenne or that smoky Spanish paprika we're all so gaga about or Tobasco or other hot sauce.

I'd think that'd be easier than the heating/cooling thing....

You could make up a fairly big batch at the beginning of the evening, and then serve your salmon with a big dollop of the whipped salmon cream on top, and sprinkle a few capers over - sprig of dill - lemon wedges - thinly sliced red onions. Would be very pretty, I'd think - and easy to do.

Also, I'd think it'd be easier to keep testing/tasting as you added salmon paste to your whipped cream to see how much was just perfect. Much easier to control than infusing and heating and cooling each time you wanted to tinker with your proportions. Not to mention that some fish is "fishier" than others -- so that with the infusing method -- what worked one time might be far too strong, or bland, another.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, I love you.

I just happen to have some (raw) smoked salmon and I'm going to do exactly what you suggested. Have I mentioned that I love you?  :wub:  :wub:

Oh Jon, props to you to for the initial idea.

Golly, thank you, Colonel. Just like those saucy gals down at the USO, I live to serve our men in uniform. :blush:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Um...

...at the risk of looking foolish for suggesting the obvious, why not get some more double cream, and try it tonight without jeopardizing your infusion?

If it doesn't work, you've got time to figure out an alternative; if it does, Bob's your uncle.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Um...

...at the risk of looking foolish for suggesting the obvious, why not get some more double cream, and try it tonight without jeopardizing your infusion?

If it doesn't work, you've got time to figure out an alternative; if it does, Bob's your uncle.

Good thinking . And Sally's your Aunt. Great dilemma.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I was thinking of posting a question very nearly the same, although I want the cream infused with vanilla bean. Should I bring the cream and bean to a simmer to infuse, or will the cream take on the vanilla if just allowed to sit in the fridge for a day or so? Will the cream that's been heated whip?

Stop Family Violence

Um...

Far too obvious. Did you learn nothing from the A-Team?

When they're locked in a barn do you break down the door and run to the sherrif for help? No! They weld together an invincible flame-throwing armoured fighting vehicle from a disused wheelbarrow and a spinkler can.

Never take the obvious option when a stylistically sophisticated and technologically advanced solution will do!

;-)

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...