• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Article about the Flaming Orange Gully

Rosie

First, the writer misrepresented the challenge. It was an offer to create a cocktail we can call our own and toast at our get-togethers.

Second, "shake some nutmeg over it"? To think that we'd ever resort to nutmeg that we'd shake, rather than grate, over a drink. The horror!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We have our own cocktail, and now we have had a newspaper food column devoted to that cocktail. Surreal? Perhaps. Great for us? Definitely. Let's hope we get some Westchester-based users out of it. Liz, if you're reading along, thanks for a great bit of coverage.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Too bad the author doesn't know the meaning of the phrase "to pull a punch."

JAZ,

I guess I let the image of Dale pulling a secret ingredient out of a bag get the best of me...

I'll never use that phrase incorrectly again!

Liz

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Liz, in spite of my tongue in cheek sarcastic comments above, thanks a bunch for the article.  That's great!

Varmint,

I was getting to you next!

Though I know you orignally suggested it for the purposes of toasting, it became a challenge afterward...

And as far as the shaking, I have only ever shook nutmeg, but that's only because I don't have one of those cool rasp graters like Martha Stewart. But I"m sure it would be much better with fresh spice!

Liz

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Liz has been a member since July, and has posted about 25 times. Everyone who's anyone is a member!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

JAZ,

I guess I let the image of Dale pulling a secret ingredient out of a bag get the best of me...

I'll never use that phrase incorrectly again!

Liz

Sorry, Liz; I'm not generally that snide. And I know how the urge to use a metaphor can overtake a writer and wipe out whatever knowledge of grammar or vocabulary one possesses. I shouldn't have pounced on it.

Nice article.

And as far as the shaking, I have only ever shook nutmeg, but that's only because I don't have one of those cool rasp graters like Martha Stewart. But I'm sure it would be much better with fresh spice!

First thanks for the article, and discussing it here!

The first time I tried a FOG it was with freshly grated nutmeg. Then I went home and made some of my own with nutmeg off the shelf and there is a HUGE difference. You might as well not even go through the trouble of putting nutmeg in the drink. Maybe that means it's time to buy some new nutmeg?

Nah, I need whole nutmeg and one of those cool little graters so I can be like the cool people. :cool:

Liz has been a member since July, and has posted about 25 times. Everyone who's anyone is a member!

Sorry, Liz. Try as I do to keep up new members, I fumbled the ball here!

So welcome again. And again.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

We're all someone, right?

Seriously, I should have known that not only would Dale's drink get prodded and poked, so would my article! Thanks everyone for reading.

Maggie -- don't worry, I'm normally just a lurker, so I'm easy to miss.

And Col, I plan to try it with fresh, even if I have to grate it on (horrors!) a box grater.

Oh, and by the way, I found a fun new resource thanks to JAZ:

English Idioms

Serves me right for using a cliche -- even though I was trying to play with it.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

The article was not bad at all

its only failure was in not pointing out that the FOG is actually jolly nasty and vile. The one sip of it I had in The Player in London replicated exactly the experience of spending a whole minute in Hades ( or the five years of my second marriage )

I think DDG is a legend a great and a god and his training of staff at The match Group has been exemplary, but this was slop in a bucket.

S