• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Multiple Reservations

lizziee

T-Man -- I'm just flipping it around. Wilfy makes two reservations, leaving one restaurant crying by the phone saying, "but he said he's show up. I saved him a table." Or the restaurant makes two reservations, just in case, leaving poor W high and dry, jonesing for some offal. Sure he can go next door and find something else, but how many places know how to make a good pizzle?

Edited by Stone (log)

T-Man -- I'm just flipping it around.  Wilfy makes two reservations, leaving one restaurant crying by the phone saying, "but he said he's show up.  I saved him a table."  Or the restaurant makes two reservations, just in case, leaving poor W high and dry, jonesing for some offal.  Sure he can go next door and find something else, but how many places know how to make a good pizzle?

but it's not the same. you can compare all you'd like. :smile:

I don't think you should compare the two because they don't occur with similar frequency. Plus, that discussion would lead to a 'what the market will bear' discussion and we all know what that can lead to. :wink:

While I don't object to the threads being merged, my question was a little different from the original. For example, Pan very reasonably says:

So my recommendation under those circumstances is to talk to all the members of your party as soon as possible and figure out which restaurant suits your needs best, then cancel the other reservation immediately. It's all about consideration.

That's exactly what I said my practice is, so it seems you approve. I wondered if anyone thought it was poor form.

Similarly, Stone is talking about situations other than one I asked about. The closest analogy would be, if the restaurant called me well in advance of my reservation, and told me they'd oversold and had to cancel me out. It's not really a precise analogy, because I may have really wanted to go to that restaurant above the many others available, whereas it's going to be rare that a restaurant really wants to seat a particular couple.