• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Drinks

guajolote

Have also outgrown the "keg stand": where you are held upside down by a bunch of other drunks over the keg, they stick the tap in your mouth and pour it down your throat until you collapse in a heap on the disgustingly dirty basement floor.  I haven't seen a keg stand in a while!  Or one of those beer helmets that you put on your head, put 2 beers in the special holders, and drink them rapidly through the long plastic tubes.  But, I have been invited to a kegger tomorrow, will report back. :wacko:

This reminds me something called a Headrest, which I first saw at the B&L Warehouse in Athens: face away from the bar, tilt your head back until it touches the bar, allow two or three bartenders to pour two or three liqueurs each straight down your throat. Wild applause for anyone slack-tonsiled enough to withstand the entire pour.

I actually saw people pay for this privilege.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

This reminds me something called a Headrest, which I first saw at the B&L Warehouse in Athens

My roomates father was a dentist. He gave us an old hydraulic dentist chair. We would tilt the "victim" back and do an upside down margarita. One person would pour triple sec, another sour mix, and the third tequila. We made sure the tequila spout poured the fastest.

I can remember one occasion a few years back. It was before Chirstmas, and the dive bar where my then boyfriend worked was selling these horrid fruitcakes for some kid's organization. It was slow; we were bored and somehow decided that making a blended drink with one of the fruitcakes would be a good idea. Crumbled that sucker right up in the blender and added brandy, Bailey's, cream, cinnamon schnapps (seemed as if it would go with the fruitcake flavors) and probably something else as well. The drink, oddly enough, didn't taste too bad. Texture was weird though. And the blender stalled severely from all those nasty little fruitcake modules sinking to the bottom and gumming up the blades.

Edited by JAZ (log)

We used to have garbage can parties where everyone would bring some liquor and pour it in a garbage can full of fruit and powdered gatorade stolen from the athletic department.

'Round these parts, this was known as "Hairy Buffalo Punch". Quite popular on the frat party circuit. Once I started working in restaurants, draining the bar mats at the end of the night and getting some unsuspecting fool to drink that was mildly amusing as well...

I still can't drink tequila in excess. I can have a mild margarita or two, but every single person I know has a tequila horror story. I wonder why that is. :blink:

Apparently Juniper berries contain some form of neurotoxin. That explains why gin hangovers are the worst. I'm also of the "if-I-smell-gin-I-retch" school.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm also of the "if-I-smell-gin-I-wretch" school.

Is it just me, or does gin make a man mean?

but every single person I know has a tequila horror story. I wonder why that is. 

Yes. Mine involves an elevator.

Crumbled that sucker right up in the blender and added brandy, Bailey's, cream, cinnamon schnapps (seemed as if it would go with the fruitcake flavors) and probably something else as well. The drink, oddly enough, didn't taste too bad.

Damn! This is a fantastic idea. Several of my friends would just love this. :shock:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Crumbled that sucker right up in the blender and added brandy, Bailey's, cream, cinnamon schnapps (seemed as if it would go with the fruitcake flavors) and probably something else as well. The drink, oddly enough, didn't taste too bad.

Damn! This is a fantastic idea. Several of my friends would just love this. :shock:

In my opinion, it ranks above actually eating the fruitcake, but then, most things do. (Best thing to do with a fruitcake? Give it away.)

So: my curiousity is piqued, as usual. What other drinks have we invented ourselves that we are particularly proud of, fruitcake or no?

Noise is music. All else is food.

I think I've mentioned somewhere that in my late teens my parents gave me "drinking lessons", so that their daughter wouldn't grow up ordering rum and cokes. :biggrin:

Maggie, I love your parents!

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

It is basically a Screwdriver that is served in a hollowed out orange. 

My delinquent friends and I were known to use a hypodermic full of vodka on an orange to make "Portable" Screwdrivers.

Ahh - the lost days of my youth... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

So: my curiousity is piqued, as usual.  What other drinks have we invented ourselves that we are particularly proud of, fruitcake or no?

A couple weeks ago I invented a cocktail that included tamarind juice for an article Mamster is working on for the Seattle Times. I don't think it's been published yet, so I don't want to blurt the recipe out here just yet.

So: my curiousity is piqued, as usual.  What other drinks have we invented ourselves that we are particularly proud of, fruitcake or no?

I borrowed the suggestion from someone else to make Asian Pear margaritas with the Asian Pear Cider I buy at my local farmer's market from the orchard owner. I cheat and use frozen limeade and a splash of Cointreau or Grand Marnier. YUMMY!

One I invented for a work event was the Castaway.

2 ounces Absolut Mandrin

½ ounce Canton Ginger Liqueur

½ ounce Captain Morgan’s Parrot Bay Rum

½ ounce Pineapple juice

Chill Martini Glass

Fill metal shaker with ice

Add all ingredients

Cover shaker with bar mixing glass

Shake vigorously

Strain into chilled martini glass

Garnish with a Lime wheel

We HAD to use an Absolut product in the drink, and since it was summer it seemed like a good semi-tropical sort of idea. These were popular with our bar crowd for a little while.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

but every single person I know has a tequila horror story. I wonder why that is. 

Yes. Mine involves an elevator.

Speaking of one's curiosity being piqued!

And does anyone remember the days of Lancer's and Mateus Rose???

NOTHING was any tastier, nor more sophisticated, nor afterwards better for sticking various colored candles into the empty bottle.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

NOTHING was any tastier, nor more sophisticated, nor afterwards better for sticking various colored candles into the empty bottle.

Jaymes:

I agree completely about the Lancer's and Mateus. It did have a good "after effect" on me though. It got me interested in exploring Portugese wines in general. There's plenty there that are delicious and a major league bargain compared to similar Spanish whites, for instance. A glass of Vinho Verde is as tasty as a glass of Rueda, often at a fraction of the price. And as refreshing as a squeeze of lemon with your oysters!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Jaymes:

I agree completely about the Lancer's and Mateus. It did have a good "after effect" on me though. It got me interested in exploring Portugese wines in general. There's plenty there that are delicious and a major league bargain compared to similar Spanish whites, for instance. A glass of Vinho Verde is as tasty as a glass of Rueda, often at a fraction of the price. And as refreshing as a squeeze of lemon with your oysters!

You know, you're right - looking back on it, one reason why it felt so "chic" is that it was imported. So, it was like a first step into realizing that there was a huge world out there, and it was full of wine!!

A glorious discovery. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I posted a couple a while back:

cocktails

And one that was more a discovery than an invention is mandarin vodka with a splash of Lillet Blond, stirred and served up in a cocktail glass with an orange twist. It's good with Absolut Mandarin; sublime with Hangar One Mandarin Blossom.

Now I'm mostly working on non-alcoholic cocktail recipes.

Witches hat - just under half pint of cider and  half pint of lager (a snakebite) topped up with a shot of pernod and blackcurrent cordial.

The mind absolutely reels. So does the intestinal tract!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Witches hat - just under half pint of cider and  half pint of lager (a snakebite) topped up with a shot of pernod and blackcurrent cordial.

Ahhh, Pernod... Speaking of unfortunate drinking experiences, one of my worst involved that yellow liquid. It was ten years before I could face the stuff again.

I have fine memories (well sorta) of Jello shots, fruit jello (flavor of your choice) mixed with grain alcohol or vodka and poured into small soft paper cups and chill until set. Tilt your head back and squeeze it down. Rinse with beer and repeat until building spins or everyone is naked.

Edited by eat2much (log)

The long gone Chick's Inn in New Brunswick, N.J. used to serve a mean and delicious Singapore Sling. I can't believe how we used to throw them down. And, believe it or not, we rarely threw them up. The bartender, Chet, always told us when the ABC inspector was visiting and apologized for not being able to serve everyone that night. And if the ABC inspector heard you offer to buy an underage friend a drink, he would blow his nose loudly so as to warn you off.

When I was in college...it was BATHTUB parties...yes...the fibergalss tub was clean...everyone chipped in, we bought one just for this purpose...and it was transported between venues...!! :biggrin:

And I will admit to one too many Fogcutters at Trader Vic's when I was 22 or so :wacko: ...still not sure how I navigated my way to my room!

Edited by southern girl (log)