• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Drinks

guajolote

Hand Grenades at the Tropical Isle in New Orleans.  I don't know what else they had in them besides pure grain alcohol, but they messed you up bad and fast.

The hangovers were especially brutal.

bwah! I was just cleaning out a closet, and in a box of stuff I've moved with a couple times, but haven't opened, was a little plastic grenade that came with that drink. It's now on our bar.

I gave up on wine coolers and Mogen David 20/20, aka Mad Dog, in high school. I also remember some bottled technicolor concoction called Cisco, or it's nickname: liquid crack.

Once had a terrible night once in college with a bottle of Frangelico.

"it tastes like peanut butter!" :wacko:

Challah back!

but every single person I know has a tequila horror story. I wonder why that is. 

Yes. Mine involves an elevator.

What goes down, must come up?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

What goes down, must come up?

You ain't kiddin. :wacko:

According to the bartendin' S.O., the current tipple handed to the sorority women by the hopeful fraternity men is something called a Purple Rain.

Mixed like a Long Island, it is:

Vodka

Rum

Gin

Tequila

Triple Sec

Sour mix

Chambord

Good God! Last night, his bar's busiest night, he sold SEVENTY-NINE of the things. He also got to listen to Prince's epochal "Purple Rain" on the jukebox ad nauseum. And he reports that the women's bathroom was no fun to clean up after closing time. I pride myself on my abilities in the bar department, but this is beyond even me.

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

If Zeb A were checking this thread, he may be willing to post about his fraternity's "Anal Chugs."  I'll stop there.

Well, first off, this wasn't done by my fraternity.

I first witnessed the anal chug at the wedding of a fraternity brother who had also invited high school friends. We were drinking too much at a very nice NJ country club. The college friends were standing on the deck, dipping Copenhagen, and spitting onto the green below. The high school friends were engaged in the anal chug.

Basically, one guy lies on the ground on his back with mouth open.

Another guy opens a cold beverage.

The third guy drops his pants and pulls up shirt slightly.

The beer (or other beverage) is poured over the small of the back so that it drips through the butt crack and pours into the waiting man's mouth.

As gross as this may sound, a year after my first encounter with this phenomenon, I saw something even more foul . . .

Anal chug with egg nog.

The beer (or other beverage) is poured over the small of the back so that it drips through the butt crack and pours into the waiting man's mouth.

I and my friends were absolute derelicts in college, but this . . . this is so so wrong on so so many levels. :unsure:

Agreed.

And, I need to be crystal clear on this--I was a member of the dipping posse, not the anal chug group.

Of course, I have a million more gross and humerous drinking stories: guys accidentally lighting themselves on fire, the annual public school v private school boot-off, Santa and Gincky the Angry Elf . . .

But, that's enough reminiscing for one afternoon

zeb, i'm not sure what kind of friends you have, but my friends (the males) do that sort of thing with ladies.  i mean, it's only right.

first off, these guys were the high school friends of a college friend who was not participating (and i am sure his bride and her family appreciated the restraint).

second, as surprising as this may sound, the ladies at the reception did not appear to be very impressed with this behavior and did not rush to join the festivities

of course, they probably just disapproved of the forum

The crazy caramel rum

One of my favorites drinks.

you need :

2/5 of rum,2/5  of  syrup of caramel,1/5 of coconuts  milk.

Serve very fresh.

An incredible drink!

Delight - when you say "coconut milk" are you talking about the water from a coconut? Or regular milk infused with coconut? Or Cream of Coconut that comes in cans?

Or something else??? :smile:

And, now that I think about it, when you say "syrup of caramel," what is that exactly? Something you make yourself or something you buy? Is it thick? Thin?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I and my friends were absolute derelicts in college, but this . . . this is so so wrong on so so many levels. :unsure:

In some circles, you would have to pay substantial sums of money to have this "service" performed.

We've been discussing the Dr. Pepper:

oof, yes I remember the Dr Pepper.

Back in my drinking days we used to go out and do "colors" - each round of drinks had to be a different color. The one that put me under the table one night was a clear drink called the Snowshoe. Wild Turkey and Peppermint Schnapps. :wacko:

And the smell of Jagermeister...ugh.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I still can't drink tequila in excess.  I can have a mild margarita or two, but every single person I know has a tequila horror story.  I wonder why that is. :blink:

A good friend of mine refuses to drink tequila because "it makes her take her clothes off." :laugh:

Which, as one grows older, would be less and less desirable. For all involved.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Back in my drinking days we used to go out and do "colors" - each round of drinks had to be a different color.

Ever do the Stoplight shots? I think it's Hot Damn, creme de banana, and Green Apple Puckershots.

While posting a few days ago, I forgot a drink that, unfortunately, entered my life again this weekend:

Mind Erasers. Add these to the "outgrown" list. A pint glass filled with 2 shots vodka, 2 shot Kahlua, and the rest soda. 4 straws. Not sure about those booze ratios, but sure about the 4 straws. Drink as fast as you can.

I will never drink anything with more than 2 straws in it again. 2 straws. Tops. :wacko:

In addition to swimmiing the breadth of t he Niagara River, the other primary right of passage for teens in my home town (Grand Island, NY) was guzzling a bottle of Boone's Farm wine. I chose the Apple version, and nearly died I was so sick.

The only other drink that qualifies is the tecquila and champaign shooter: fill shot glass 3/4 full of good tecquila, add 1/4 splash of champaign. Cover with cloth and bang the shot glass down on the bar to create heavy fizz and then shoot it all down in one gulp. These things are pure evil.

A pint glass filled with 2 shots vodka, 2 shot Kahlua, and the rest soda.  4 straws.  Not sure about those booze ratios, but sure about the 4 straws.

This reminded me - How about the "watermelon" thing, where you fill the watermelon with something - was it vodka? - and then poke holes in it and stick in straws and drink?

I remember it being very big at pool parties and beach get-togethers.

Does anyone do it anymore?

Or is that soooooo 'last millennium'...? :cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

A good friend of mine refuses to drink tequila because "it makes her take her clothes off." :laugh:

God, in retrospect, this explains so much! How can I have been so,er, Blind all these years? :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

This reminded me - How about the "watermelon" thing, where you fill the watermelon with something - was it vodka? - and then poke holes in it and stick in straws and drink?

Yes. We still do this, but we are depraved, and probably not a good cross-section of any population.

I think I've mentioned somewhere that in my late teens my parents gave me "drinking lessons", so that their daughter wouldn't grow up ordering rum and cokes. :biggrin:

From How we ate growing up, here's part of maggiethecat's post:

When did you get that first sip of wine?

Maybe fourteen?  My father did it deliberately as a learning, growing experience.  I also had what we still laughingly refer to as "Drinking Lessons."  After 16, I was included in the Cocktail Hour and taught to drink.  "No daughter of ours is ever going to order a rum and coke or a zombie!"  So by my late teens I could drink a scotch and soda, a martini, a Dubonnet on the rocks or one of my father's famous Old Fashioneds.  I still drink like a 60's Waspy businessman.

I'd love to learn more about this.