• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marzanino tomatoes ?

rotuts

TJ's has marzanino tomatoes 

marzqnino.thumb.jpg.0567a94ece1e73bc6b2a8160314b037a.jpg

its very difficult finding out much about this strain , as searches roll over to 

san marino's 

any ideas ?

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (capitalization) (log)
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Yes, but we don't have Trader Joes in Ontario.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

marzqnino.thumb.jpg.0567a94ece1e73bc6b2a8160314b037a.jpg

its very difficult finding out much about this strain , as searches roll over to 

san marino's 

any ideas ?

A little looking around the internet says they're grown in southern Italy.  Obviously not DOP San Marzano.  $2.99 for that 14.1 oz/400g can.  I will try them.  The price is on the high side, but in the same range I pay for tins of cherry tomatoes.  I like the smaller can for when I'm scaling down a recipe and the small tomatoes can be nice as long as the skins aren't problematic.  I'm assuming they are smaller tomatoes, perhaps similar in size to the Heavenly Villagio Marzano Tomatoes, the hot-house grown small tomatoes from Canada that TJ's has been selling. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ill try to look for the fresh in the bag.

Village Farms has trademarked the Heavenly Villagio Marzano variety of small plum tomatoes that are sold fresh in many stores, including Trader Joe's.  They usually come in a 10 oz plastic bag.  I've been buying the TJ's offering and they're OK for a winter tomato.  They seem to keep very well.  To me, they're better after sitting on the counter for a least a few days.  Their skins are pretty sturdy and they have the texture of a plum tomato compared with the cherry tomatoes I get at the farmers market which have fairly delicate skins, are juicier and don't keep quite as long but taste better. 

• Like 2

I like this Mutti brand for 14 oz cans of cherry tomatoes. The also are sold in a sixpack for $23. They are acidic and peppy, a little sharper than most of the 28 oz DOP Marzanos that I buy locally. I usually add a can when making a big batch of sauce. Nice to have an option for a small can when that's all you need. I also like the Mutti tube of tomato paste.

https://www.amazon.com/Mutti-Cherry-Tomatoes-oz-12-Pack/dp/B00HXSKHKA/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3C40IYS3KGBP0&keywords=mutti+tomatoes&qid=1686250243&sprefix=mutti%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-6

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I used a can of those Mutti cherry tomatoes just last  night.  I too use their tube tomato paste and also the passata.

I know we can get Mutti canned tomatoes.  Ed once brought home a flat of them.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I wonder if the Mrzanino tomatoes

grown in Italy ,  on the heel of the peninsula 

are an attempt to grow a S. Marzano  ' seed '

where , and then establish it 

as economically , worth while.

so it would be up to a person's  taste

after 

cost // availability // tomato-ey can  

to decide to go back for more

or not.

interesting project .

I picked up a couple of cans figuring I would try them and see what I thought.  First attempt was a simple marinara sauce.  As I was planning the sauce, I wondered what to put it on so I bought a package of TJs cheese ravioli.

Overall, I thought they were decent although there was a slight metallic taste in the final dish.  I was impressed with the ravioli.

ETA: I forgot to mention how small the tomatoes in the can were.  I think someone mentioned it in a previous post, but I was still surprised.

Edited by dans (log)
  • Like 3

I bought these the other week before seeing this thread and had them over the weekend topping a faux neapolitan pizza.  I thought they were tasty, prefer them to cento, for now.  I thought they were just the unsold mini san marzano cherry tomatoes they've been offering for a while now 🤫

• Like 2

Thanks Elsie.  Part of my problem is that I can no longer go grocery shopping which necessitates asking Ed to 'look' for things, or ask for help looking for things...not a good idea...and so I really try to limit my requests.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I had an opportunity to open my one can of Marzanino tomatoes. I added them to Marzano DOP 28 oz cans to make a big batch of sauce. Before adding I tasted them out of the can. Not very exciting, a bit murky. It's hard to find good 14 oz cans, so this is a low priced option and for now available at TJ's. I think the 14 oz cans of Mutti cherry tomatoes are better in flavor and texture and add brightness to a batch of sauce. I'll stick with them if I only need a small can. I use just one can for long-cooked green beans southern style if no fresh cherry tomatoes are available, or in a vegetable curry in the winter if fresh heirlooms are also not to be found.

• Like 1

As an alternative……… I recently bought small a can of Mutti baby Roma tomatoes at our local Albertson’s. They were very small, oblong, and were NOT peeled, but there was a lot of purée in the can.  I used them in a fish stew and broke them up a bit with a potato masher as I thought leaving them whole would mess with the texture of the dish. Taste was very good. 

Edited by Midlife
Correcting product (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1