• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe needed, please .... small flan mold

DonnaMarieNJ

I purchased a mold (see link  below) for a flan.  It is small, and it came with no directions or recipe.  It is meant to be used as a steamer (the store employee told me that today).  I DID search google, but the recipes are for larger molds or call for baking.  I am NOT a good cook or baker, so I need all the help I can get in order to not ruin the end product.  Per the website, it has a five cup capacity.  I realize this is a tall order, but I would appreciate any help.   Thank you in advance!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nicul+Flan+Pudding+Mold+With+Lid+Banho+Maria+Made+In+Portugal+(N.18+7.5"+-+18cm)&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US843&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

Looks like a mold for a steamed pudding. That was my first thought - then looking at @Margaret Pilgrim's post I realize it has a center post. So flan it is!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Looks amazing.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Looks amazing.

Yep. Dang, I may have to buy that mold!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

In case someone else wishes to be enabled, here's the small aluminum version: Nicul Portuguese Flan Mold (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) which, I might add, is not dishwasher-proof. Here's one provided by Bene Casa that includes the double boiler and flan pan, claims to be dishwasher safe, but does not seem to have a locking handle: Bene Casa Double Boiler Flan Set (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).

BTW, @DonnaMarieNJ, there's a sort-of recipe for the flan in the description under the first link. It looks as though it's taken from the YouTube video linked above.

Edited by Smithy
Added note that recipe isn't complete (log)
  • Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

36 minutes ago, Smithy said:

In case someone else wishes to be enabled, here's the small aluminum version: Nicul Portuguese Flan Mold (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) which, I might add, is not dishwasher-proof. Here's one provided by Bene Casa that includes the double boiler and flan pan, claims to be dishwasher safe, but does not seem to have a locking handle: Bene Casa Double Boiler Flan Set (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).

BTW, @DonnaMarieNJ, there's a sort-of recipe for the flan in the description under the first link. It looks as though it's taken from the YouTube video linked above.

I saw that recipe - it calls for a bigger pan and requires baking.  The recipe does not match the mold - which is so stupid.  Thanks, tho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

small aluminum version:

If anyone is interested, the first one would fit into an instant pot and flan can be made in the instant pot quite easily. I'm sure that @JAZ could provide us with a recipe and some times.

• Like 3

When I steam this (after I find a recipe), does the bottom of the flan mold sit in a bigger pan of hot water directly (half way covered with water, maybe?) or does the bottom of the flan mold sit on a rack ABOVE the simmering water, not in it?  I have no idea what to do.  I've contacted the company that makes it (in Portugal).  They no longer sell it, but maybe they can help me with some sort of instructions.  Thanks.

48 minutes ago, DonnaMarieNJ said:

When I steam this (after I find a recipe), does the bottom of the flan mold sit in a bigger pan of hot water directly (half way covered with water, maybe?) or does the bottom of the flan mold sit on a rack ABOVE the simmering water, not in it?  I have no idea what to do.  I've contacted the company that makes it (in Portugal).  They no longer sell it, but maybe they can help me with some sort of instructions.  Thanks.

Here's what I've picked up from the YouTube video posted a few posts earlier, here:

The short answer to your question is that the flan mold should sit in the water, with the water about halfway up the mold, and the water should be simmering.

My notes from the recipe in the YouTube video follow. Please note that I've never done this, so I should not be taken as a voice of experience.

To make the caramel:

1-1/3 c sugar

2/3 c water

Start by making a caramel sauce. Dissolve the sugar in the water. Bring it all to a boil. Let it boil for about 10 minutes, or until it starts turning the color you want. She says to not stir it. Other instructions will tell you to swirl the pan gently and brush down the sides of the pan with (say) a pastry brush, to keep crystals from forming on the side of the pan.

VERY CAREFULLY pour the sauce into the bottom and onto the sides of the flan mold. Be careful because this sticky stuff carries a wallop of heat (my phrase, not hers) and will burn you badly on contact. Make sure the caramel coats the sides of the flan mold. 

To make and cook the flan:

Add water to a large pot or pan, and bring it to a simmer. You'll want enough water to come about halfway up the side of the flan mold once it's in the water.

For the filling, mix:

1 c eggs

1 c milk

3/4 c sugar

1/3 c port

She uses a mixer for this. I don't know how important that is, except to make sure the mix is truly well mixed and smooth.

Pour this mixture into the caramel-coated pan. Put the lid on the pan, and seal it. Lower the pan into the simmering water. Simmer about 15 minutes, until the flan is cooked. (It's done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Clearly, the mold lid has to removed for this test.)

When the flan is cooked, remove the mold from the water and allow it to cool. When it's cooled, VERY CAREFULLY put a plate over the (unlidded, see previous note) mold. Flip it over so that the flan comes loose from the mold and onto the plate. Spoon the remaining caramel sauce over the flan. Serve.

[All this makes me want to (a) get one of those molds; (b) make the flan; (c) start messing with the recipe. Port sounds lovely, but what about chocolate? lemon? framboise?]

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DonnaMarieNJ said:

Thank you.  I can't wait to try it.  I'm sure I will ruin my first attempt, but I'll try again.

Thanks EVERYONE!

Let us know how it comes out! We learn by mistakes as well as successes!

[I just remembered that I've had flan with a prickly pear caramel too. Hmm, possibilities!]

On 5/28/2023 at 11:38 PM, DonnaMarieNJ said:

Of course if you have a Cuisinart Steam Oven - you can simply put the covered mold into the oven and steam at 190 for 40 minutes. 

• Thanks 1