• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shelf Life of Cocoa

weinoo

Let's say I bought a bunch of different brands of good cocoa a while ago. Some of it is opened, some is still closed.

Most of it has expired by the package date; some recently, some not so.  Stored almost properly, in my room temp kitchen.

None of the previously opened packages had any off-smell to me; some definitely smell more cocoa-y. 

How long does cocoa last unopened? Opened? 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

From our friends over at Cook's Illustrated/American Test Kitchens: Don't Toss Expired Cocoa Powder

Some see a box of unsweetened cocoa powder six years past its expiration date and think “trash.” In the test kitchen, we think “testing opportunity.”  Wondering if cocoa spoils or loses its flavor over time as spices do, we made hot cocoa and chocolate butter cookies with the six-year-old cocoa and a freshly opened box of the same product. When we tasted them side by side, only about half the tasters noted a difference, calling the samples made with the geriatric cocoa “duller,” “weaker,” and “more mellow.” No one noted any off-flavors.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to fix quote (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm sure some of the stuff in my house is more than 10 years old - low available water - low fat so little risk of rancidity. I use it!

This is what I was hoping for.

35 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Seems a consensus that is doesn't go "off".   As with any aging spice, maybe a need to use a bit more than in its prime.

Spices, to me, are very different, I tend to go through them annually, and get rid of any even a few months past their expirations. They're probably not a hundred percent fresh when they get ground to sell.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?