• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm sure some of the stuff in my house is more than 10 years old - low available water - low fat so little risk of rancidity. I use it!

This is what I was hoping for.

35 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Seems a consensus that is doesn't go "off".   As with any aging spice, maybe a need to use a bit more than in its prime.

Spices, to me, are very different, I tend to go through them annually, and get rid of any even a few months past their expirations. They're probably not a hundred percent fresh when they get ground to sell.

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm sure some of the stuff in my house is more than 10 years old - low available water - low fat so little risk of rancidity. I use it!

This is what I was hoping for.

31 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Seems a consensus that is doesn't go "off".   As with any aging spice, maybe a need to use a bit more than in its prime.

Spices, to me, are very different, It end to go through them annually, and get rid of any even a few months past their expirations. They're probably not a hundred percent fresh when they get ground to sell.