• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYT says QR code menus are on the way out

gfweb

There's a new food court at a mall in the SF Valley that's set up for ordering and payment from all stalls via tablets or, eventually, a phone app.  Log in and you can order from all stalls on one bill. 

The name of the place is Topanga Social, but that part of the operation sounds rather anti-social to me!

This New Food Hall in the Valley Is Redefining Mall Dining for the Modern Era

I'm waiting for Curtis Stone's Pie Room to open up before I go over to check it out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Quite a few restaurants in NYC have a card with a QR code in a plastic stand on the table.  It started here as a COVID thing - one less thing for people to handle and supposedly have to sanitize before being given to someone else.  I imagine many restaurants have found it cheaper, especially when having to print menus that change from time to time.  Some of these restaurants do have hard copies if requested.  Personally, I find the QR code menus a real pita, but obviously they haven't had too many complaints.  And I'm sure the young people (in their 20s) love it as they're glued to their phones anyway.

• Like 2

Last weekend a friend took me to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant.  Chips and salsa came immediately.  After a long interlude the wait person returned and asked if we were ready to order, or if we needed more time.  I complained we never received a menu.  She explained the QR thingy, but I pointed out I do not have a cellphone.  My friend has a cellphone but it is a flip phone, not a smart phone.  It would never have occurred to me not to expect a paper menu from any restaurant short of Le Bec-Fin.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou