• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bluebird RIP

Proof that denizens of those rarefied post codes don't always have more money than sense, Bluebird on King's Road is closing or closed, to be reincarnated as a Con-bury's jv in the Spring, according to Time Out. Bluebird had some very good stuff, good produce, Hill Station Ice Cream, good coffees and prepared foods...a cut above what you'd expect from 'Habitat for Food' - but inevitably, way overpriced - probably due to the extortionate rents which I have come to believe are the reason everything in London is so expensive. Also Bluebird's flowers lasted and lasted...

TimeOut, notably, took this as an opportunity to belittle my fellow SW3 residents - something along the lines of "Chelsea residents would rather shop in a supermarket than at Bluebird, the Conran temple of fine produce."

Rubbish. While trumpeted by many people -- including Steven Shaw if memory serves -- Bluebird was a joke. The supposed organic produce was vile and nasty, the wine selection poor and overpriced, and the meat and fish counters' selection paled in comparison to what is more readily available for a lower cost on Chelsea Green. Perhaps their baked goods were fine, but why trudge all the way to Bluebird when Polaine and Baker & Spice are more convenient, if not closer? And if one really needed a food hall, Harrod's is far better, both in terms of selection and price.

As far as this Chelsea resident is concerned, Bluebird will not be missed.

Apart from the bad quality, etc etc... we have gotten food poisoned by "freshly" prepared food from Bluebird and a friend was also food poisoned with foie gras in the restaurant upstairs...

Just passed by today and saw all the construction - good riddance...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Although I will not profess to have any particular expertise into what constitutes libel in the UK, one should generally be careful when making conclusory statements regarding food poisoning. Qualifiers like "I think" or "I suspect" would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure, by the proprietors of this board.

Unless, of course, you had the food sample analyzed in a lab or have some other professional opinion to rely upon. :raz:

actually I never had such bad luck with either the produce which was always fresh and varied - or the prepped foods. Beside Bluebird, Waitrose has long held the monopoly on premium food in Chelsea, Safeway is a pretty sad example of what could be a real rival. But I had a huge problem with the prices, they were really taking the piss. It's as if they said 'let's see just how much people in this 'hood are willing to pay for a chocolate chip cookie (£1.50 for ONE small one)'