• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionary Workshop 2023

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I notice that the additional part (what I referred to as a splash guard) is not installed on the melanger.  Was there a reason for that?

Simple accidental oversight!

Patty

1 hour ago, patris said:

That’s Goya coconut milk. I can’t recall what it was being used for, though.

Kerry reminded me it was for Willow’s vegan lavender caramel (get you some of that if you ever get the chance - it’s delicious!)

Patty

5 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I notice that the additional part (what I referred to as a splash guard) is not installed on the melanger.  Was there a reason for that?

I don't know why that part was not installed. 

When I made a hazelnut praline today, the "splash guard" was in place. We used Rodney's recipe -- including his dry caramel with glucose.

20230520_101659.thumb.jpg.5322fb4e5a626809bed47469a2b5e252.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, curls said:

I don't know why that part was not installed. 

When I made a hazelnut praline today, the "splash guard" was in place. We used Rodney's recipe -- including his dry caramel with glucose.

20230520_101659.thumb.jpg.5322fb4e5a626809bed47469a2b5e252.jpg

Glad you were able to benefit from Rodney's melanger expertise.  So have you yourself succumbed to the melanger allure?  It's difficult to resist.

21 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Glad you were able to benefit from Rodney's melanger expertise.  So have you yourself succumbed to the melanger allure?  It's difficult to resist.

A lovely tilting melanger and mini bowl are coming home with me. Looking forward to experimenting with it!

• Like 1

IMG_5666.thumb.JPG.634b97b9d5c97fafbf62d30705b73bea.JPG

IMG_56672.thumb.JPG.833d36d8fa89d07236d0eb2920f3a192.JPG

Got a few random pictures - this is Bernie's second batch of sponge toffee - this one worked nicely - he enrobed a bunch of it. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

IMG_5375.thumb.JPG.8c4648fd8a56e47cb2646842045aa5ee.JPG

IMG_5378.thumb.JPG.044913b00b6dd78f32b093a603d88c4c.JPG

Using the inexpensive theragun substitute to level out the slab. Today I managed to use that slab to break the first string on the guitar. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5375.thumb.JPG.8c4648fd8a56e47cb2646842045aa5ee.JPG

IMG_5378.thumb.JPG.044913b00b6dd78f32b093a603d88c4c.JPG

Using the inexpensive theragun substitute to level out the slab. Today I managed to use that slab to break the first string on the guitar. 

IMG_0817.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Patty

Hopefully as everyone gets home they put up their pictures.

Also as we have done in past years - if you could suggest one thing you learned from the workshop. That's my favorite part. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm so glad there's hope that more photos and discussion will follow! The workshop was over much too quickly for this voyeur reader and I want more vicarious fun! 

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hopefully as everyone gets home they put up their pictures.

Also as we have done in past years - if you could suggest one thing you learned from the workshop. That's my favorite part. 

I took only the one picture, so I haven’t got anything more to contribute there. For me, fruit chocolates in the melanger were a real revelation. Also, Willow’s explanation of how to make Greweling’s leaf croquant without creating a sea of oily peanut butter has renewed my enthusiasm for trying that recipe again.

Patty

4 minutes ago, patris said:

I took only the one picture, so I haven’t got anything more to contribute there. For me, fruit chocolates in the melanger were a real revelation. Also, Willow’s explanation of how to make Greweling’s leaf croquant without creating a sea of oily peanut butter has renewed my enthusiasm for trying that recipe again.

I missed that demo - I did see her doing it and it looked like it was going well and I did manage to taste a small shard and have brought one dipped piece home. 

On 5/20/2023 at 1:50 PM, patris said:

That’s Goya coconut milk. I can’t recall what it was being used for, though.

Willow used it for her vegan caramels.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Where to begin? It was wonderful! Kerry, Patris and Rodney did a phenomenal job. I don't know how they do so much. 

As Kerry mentioned, Willow, Gaylene, me and a friend, went to NYC for a few days. We hit all the tourist spots and had a great time. We only had 2 days to squeeze in as much as possible, I think we did a lot in a short time. We had food goals in mind and pretty much hit them all. 

Pizza. Ate just across the street from SWMS. Yum!  Nathan's hot dog, Central Park. No, I didn't ask for ketchup. I was determined to eat things the way they were given. I ordered a hot dog and he asked, "ketchup and onions?". I was expecting mustard, but accepted what he offered:). It was delicious. Of Course, it could be that I was starving and had walked 7 miles that day. Got the bagel at Chelsea Market, then walked the Highline. The Pastrami was from the Upper West Side-Pastrami Queen. I don't know what to expect from pastrami. it was good, not great. I'll get into the sweet stuff in another thread. All in all, it was a fantastic 2 days! Hopefully, Gaylene and Willow, Yetichocolates will add to this.

IMG_5620.jpeg

IMG_5674.jpeg

IMG_5684.jpeg

IMG_5656.jpeg

• Like 8

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Now to the sweet stuff! We hit several pastry shop and bakeries. We tried to visit Gabriel Kreuther, but it wasn't open. Mixed reports on whether it is temporary. We consoled ourselves with pastry at a nearby shop, Maman NYC. Kouign Amann in a different shape than I am used to.

IMG_5603.jpeg

IMG_5604.jpeg

IMG_5606.jpeg

70594234593__DFB140A3-88FE-4667-9722-5FB264A619C2.fullsizerender.jpeg

70594244968__4E8E7A78-1ED7-406F-B62A-1AA4C99120FD.fullsizerender.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Then on to our real purpose of the day--Stick With Me Sweets! What a cute, tiny shop. The gal helping was wonderful. She explained each piece, and carefully packaged it and added cold packs. Didn't want to leave, but eventually we had to. Not enough room to hang around.

IMG_4509.jpeg

IMG_5619.jpeg

IMG_5618.jpeg

IMG_5617.jpeg

IMG_5616.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

IMG_5612.jpeg

2483E634-05D0-4BE2-A756-C7DD1FFE866B.jpeg

Edited by Chocolot
added pix (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2