• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethiopian Restaurants in London

There's an Ethiopian restaurant called Mikasha (or something like that) in Swiss Cottage, on Fairfax Road I think. I've passed it and thought 'this looks intriguing' but have not gotten around to eating there. But it has been there for at least three years and it's off the main road, so it must have its fans.

i went to one called axum on the wandsworth road. ate flannelly injera bread and fiery wot. the food is quite awesomely hot, even for a chilli fan like me. very, very cheap, friendly and laid back.

there's also a really popular one on the caledonian road called merkato, i think. it looks a bit more accessible than some of the others which can come over as a bit scary ...

I think there is an Eritrean place in Brixton.

Yeah, it's near me on the Brixton road. Five mins south of Oval station. Always mean to go, but never quite managed it (the same applies to the Columbian place next door which lists fried pork belly an a starter)

what's distinctive about eritrean/ethiopian cuisine? (the menu on the one near me seems to have a lot of curries)

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

what's distinctive about eritrean/ethiopian cuisine?

the injera, particularly, which is quite an acquired taste. like i said, it's a bit like eating cold damp flannel. it's apparently fermented for a couple of days to give it its distinctive, slightly sour taste. you use it to scoop up the food which is often wildly hot. the wots are kind of thick, very dark stews rich with incendiary spices and butter.

I think there is an Eritrean place in Brixton.

As well as the one mentioned by Jon there is Asmara on Coldharbour Lane opposite the Dogstar. It's run by a very friendly Eritrean couple and is excellent value with pretty decent grub. Service can be a bit slow when they're full.

Generally African restaurants have failed in London in the last decade and that's less to do with the food as a failure on the behalf of anyone who would be an African restaurateur to comprehend the service needs of London diners.

African restaurants are traditionally slow and dismissive toward customers. The food is actually delicious when it arrives but too often the African concept of service jars with that of the customer .

You can buy in to the "African time" notion of service or you can eat elsewhere. Like so much in Africa the concession to Western values will be ignored,one of the reasons why the post-pub African has never caught on like the Indian or the Chinese.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)