• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova "Precision Chamber Vacuum Sealer"

weinoo

@dtremit

Compared to the Anova, its size is definitely a drawback, but as chamber vacuum sealers go the Anova is an outlier - check out size and weight of the competition - aside from price, my main concern was for a 12 inch sealing bar - but not having the space is definitely a deciding factor in your case - having a chamber vacuum sealer is much, much better than not having one. 😃

p

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2023 at 10:00 AM, sverreef said:

I haven't tried this myself, since my Henkelman has a fairly large chamber compared to the bags l normally use, but this could work. I've found that if you fold up excessive length of bag just inside (or outside) the seal bar, it seems like it can create a "barrier" which affects evacuation of air from the bag though. This can again lead to excessive"ballooning" of the bag inside the chamber, especially if you vacuum products with a lot of air bubbles/voids which release air slowly.

Because of this, it might be better to move some of the headroom (the folded bag part) to the other side of the produce? Based on my (limited) experience with chamber sealers, I'm not sure if I'd like to try this with a bag who's total volume exceeds the volume of the chamber.

I got given a bunch of 10x18 bags, which were even longer than that that, because they were zipper bags, with the zipper end being factory sealed.  (they had a pre printed label stuck to them, with wrong info, which meant the converter who'd ordered them coul;dn't use them.  My home kitchen not being subject to FDA inspection....) I have a vp215, which is 15" long, inside the chamber.  I used a bunch of them up, and gave the rest away, but they worked okay in the machine, you have to fiddle around with where you have the excess, but it's pretty easy to figure out what works.  For stuff that doesn't need a super hard vacuum, just folding the extra under works fine.  Also, remember that bags get shorter when they have stuff in them,

• Thanks 1

Sorry it has taken me more time than I expected to get back to this topic with photos.  To answer an earlier question, yes you can use longer bags and just tuck the extra material into the chamber prior to sealing.

So, none of the items that I recently sealed maxed out the size of the chamber.

A bag with 975 grams of hazelnuts -- pre and post seal. You can see that there is room for a lot more hazelnuts -- but this is all that I had available.

20230524_113805-hazelnuts-preseal.thumb.jpg.f7eeba92074ddd5ee138aa8023791521.jpg

20230524_113916-hazelnuts-975grams.jpg.ccdf5fb6fd1fe8b8b0174f86796cd9f3.jpg

A steak, approximately 2 pounds. It was already sealed but I sealed it again to guard against possible leaks when cooking sous vide. Could fit a thicker steak or roast.

20230528_161817-sirloinsteak-2pounds.thumb.jpg.063cfe90d1c50d0beef9920f36392a1a.jpg

Canning jars. The two on the sides are Ball 4 ounce canning jars. The one in the center is a larger jam jar. I also have some other square glass containers that fit in the chamber that I use when pickling or infusing -- this tends to let me work with larger quantities than the canning jars.

20230529_163626-4ouncecanningjars.thumb.jpg.f0171be25daaa149147040fa99481f5d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Compress vodka or tequila into watermelon. Be sure to peel it first.

This recipe should be in the owner's manual for every chamber vac as a required method to "break it in."

I’m making a watermelon feta salad tomorrow and compressing half of the watermelon for a variety of texture and color. Compressing fruit and making pizza dough has been a lot of fun with it. 

Edited by Robenco15 (log)
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2023 at 2:06 PM, ElsieD said:

I was seriously considering this until my recent customer "service" experience.  On May 16 I wrote to them about an issue I was having with my APO.  This was acknowledged by them 5 days later by giving me a ticket number.  I wrote to them on May 25 in an attempt to find out what if anything, is happening.  Including the 16th, I am on day 12.  Nothing.  If I call them, I get an auto message.  Personally, I will never, ever buy anything from them again.  

I am eating crow, as the saying goes.  I just ordered the chamber vacuum sealer.

• Like 6

An unexpected behavior I've noticed is that when the thing being sealed is 1) wet AND 2) at or above room temp, pulling the vacuum boils the liquid and inflates the bag before it gets sealed... so when it is sealed, the bag is way puffed up and doesn't seal as tightly as a plain old food saver does... Anybody else experience this, and have thoughts on dealing with it?  Vac time up or vac time down? 

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

3 hours ago, cdh said:

An unexpected behavior I've noticed is that when the thing being sealed is 1) wet AND 2) at or above room temp, pulling the vacuum boils the liquid and inflates the bag before it gets sealed... so when it is sealed, the bag is way puffed up and doesn't seal as tightly as a plain old food saver does... Anybody else experience this, and have thoughts on dealing with it?  Vac time up or vac time down? 

If I am vacuum sealing something wet, for example when making dashi, I freeze the water first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I tried vacuum sealing a baguette last night.  It did not go well.  Can someone please tell me how to do this without totally squishing the bread?

LOL - been there - done that! 

Freeze it first. 

You need to watch and shut down at just the right time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Someone wanted to be helpful so the baugette i wanted for tomorrow was purchased today.  @rotutsso my goal was to vacuum seal it in my new spiffy chamber vacuum sealer and stick it in the freezer until tomorrow.  I am following @Kerry Beal's suggestion and they are in the freezer now.  Since said person bought two baugettes, I want to seal the second.  Try as i might, i can't find anything to tell me what buttons to push.  Kerry, can you please advise?  

• Like 1

What you want to do is reduce the level of vacuum - lower the vac level (time) to about 15 seconds - not familiar with your machine, so that's a guess

If you want to be sure, follow Kerry's suggestion - freeze it, then vac

p

12 hours ago, palo said:

What you want to do is reduce the level of vacuum - lower the vac level (time) to about 15 seconds - not familiar with your machine, so that's a guess

If you want to be sure, follow Kerry's suggestion - freeze it, then vac

p

I don't use the seal button?  Sorry for the dumb question.  I've only used it once and that was to seal chicken thighs in a marinade.