• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mock Sourdough Bread

Tropicalsenior

Mock Sourdough Bread

20230501_124941.thumb.jpg.c707b6ec4699813c37927893a268f638.jpg

This bread has an great  sourdough taste, but you don't need to bother with a complicated, time-consuming starter. 

3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. (usually liquids first, then dry ingredients, ending with yeast last). Select dough bread setting on machine, and press start. After 5 minutes of mixing, and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of either flour or water if needed.)

After machine stops, remove dough and shape into too long loaves. Let rise until double and bake in a 400o oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

These are the changes that I made in the recipe the last time that I made it in my KitchenAid mixer.

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten flour (optional) 

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

1/2 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons white vinegar

3/4 cup warm water

Place all the dry ingredients in the bowl of the mixer and mix well. If using the vital wheat gluten flour it should always be mixed thoroughly into the dry flour before adding the moisture. Add the warm water until the dough is very soft but not sticky. Let the machine knead the bread on low for 5 minutes, let rest 10 minutes and knead again for 5 minutes. Set the dough to rise until doubled. I always place the dough on a large cutting board and cover with a large bowl. Something that I learned from The Frugal Gourmet years ago. This may take an hour or more. Just let the dough tell you when it is ready.

After the first rise, shape the bread in any way that you want, let rise until ready and bake it at 400° until golden brown.

Note: one thing that I have noticed about this bread is that I don't get a lot of oven rise. It may have something to do with the reaction of the yeast with the vinegar but it still has a nice texture and a sourdough flavor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Tropicalsenior, how much does your one cup of flour weigh?

136g. If you're making it in the bread machine, make sure that you monitor the process when it is mixing so that it is not sticky. As I remember, I either had to add more water or more flour depending on the flour that I wish using. You do want a soft dough but definitely not sticky.

• Thanks 1