• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

v-day wine (sigh)

Robert Nesta Marley

i don't know why, but i feel like hearing about what people here plan on drinking this valentine's day. :wub::wacko: . do you feel like it's a special ocasion & spend extra money on wine, etc. ?

anyone doing the cheesiest thing & drinking their calon-segur :raz: ?

i'm trying to find some egly-ouriet rose (to drink at midnight after work, in celebration of the end of the holiday. :hmmm: either that or some old "black wine" (cahors) :laugh: .

bah humbug.

We are going to be on a cruise in New Zealand. I'm bringing two special bottles along, a Penfolds Grange 91 and a Harlan Estate 94. One will be consumed on Valentines Day; the other eight days later on my wife's birthday. I haven't decided which to do when.

Then a week after that, we will be having dinner at Tetsuyas in Sydney a week after that. Maybe I should bring a third bottle?

Porkpa

We are going to be on a cruise in New Zealand. I'm bringing two special bottles along, a Penfolds Grange 91 and a Harlan Estate 94. One will be consumed on Valentines Day; the other eight days later on my wife's birthday. I haven't decided which to do when.

Then a week after that, we will be having dinner at Tetsuyas in Sydney a week after that. Maybe I should bring a third bottle?

Porkpa

Fly me in and I'll bring a 85 La Tache !

The wife and i are going to have a curry with some other married couples, who are bored of the over-priced "Special Valentine's day set menu", which costs about 50% more than normal - well that's here in London.

So I suppose that will mean beer!

PS Better to have a Calon Segur than a St. Amour

The wife and i are going to have a curry with some other married couples, who are bored of the over-priced "Special Valentine's day set menu", which costs about 50% more than normal - well that's here in London.

So I suppose that will mean beer!

PS Better to have a Calon Segur than a St. Amour

ctgm, the v-day menus in nyc can be just as outrageous, and probably more than outrageous in some cases. but everything is here. i mean, you can't even buy roses right now, of course. hallmark cards are probably sold out as well. :laugh:

in terms of calon vs. st. amour, well.....you're probably right in most cases. and st. amour isn't one of my top 5 crus. but i'd go with moulin-a-vent or morgon with vegetarian curry over a young st estephe if those were the only 2 choices i had.

p.s. i had to restrain myself from making the st. amour joke to begin with. but i'm glad someone made it.

sparkling shiraz is always in order. for about an hour. after that, i usually need to move on to something else. but from what i understand it's poured for "occasions" in australia, after which they move straight to rye. :laugh::laugh:.........okay, i've never been, but seems logical, no? what could you drink after fox creek's vixen?

oh, but if i had some of that 1903 madeira in town. that might work for me on v-day. good call on the fortifieds.

by the way, happy holiday marty...... :cool: drink well!

p.s. i had to restrain myself from making the st. amour joke to begin with.  but i'm glad someone made it.

It isn't a joke for some. Apparently in Ireland there is a merchant who sells thousands of bottles of St. Amour along with a red rose!