• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I love this knife for bread, but what is it really for?

Jon S

What could this knife be for?

What is its true purpose?

It utilizes a serration pattern of gentle curves compared to the pointy teeth like serrations of a common bread knife.

For me, it’s an upgrade when cutting into a bread loaf since it achieves cuts without “hacking” or “tearing” out crumbs everywhere. 

I don’t know its name or manufacturer (found at a flea market); when it was made; no one knows what it’s for; I failed to find any hints in all my search attempts.

Anyone got a clue or a friend who might know? 

P.S. How do you recommend I sharpen this thing?

Knife details:

• Curvy edge is only beveled on one side. Opposite side is flat.
  • Tang is only partially in wooden handle.
  • Spine has “little teeth” (serrations). Interestingly those 5 patches alternate which side of the blade they face. (I use this for slightly tough crusts)
  • Curved grooves at tip and beginning of spine look to me like made for leverage - something like bottle opening? (What do you think?)
  • Punched “eye” towards tip. Has a function? (For hanging on a nail?) Maybe just for decoration? (Do other knifes have this?)
  • Bottom face of handle is curved like a crescent.
  • “STAINLESS STEEL JAPAN” stamped on the same side as curved bevel.

4C5B58BB-5BC4-47C9-A10D-D27BC1F3E3CD.jpeg

14BAD78F-28BF-4A03-8AF5-243B706E9FD8.jpeg

10CC295F-FAD0-4327-A3F7-71F8F5C6986C.jpeg

FF16E297-4938-4C15-B1A3-7F26C5F90434.jpeg

5AABAC89-C495-4829-9950-C221977B7203.jpeg

BEEB6CA7-D58E-4EE8-BC53-B0F3CFE87964.jpeg

444BFE8A-6178-4F73-AD14-234C73344410.jpeg

B0D5BF86-DF93-4C71-8966-B288BFCC4F91.jpeg

Edited by Jon S
Punctuation; Reorder images; Spacing (log)

Cocktail or bartender's knife

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N I never thought to look up "bottle opener knife" Although there's no wavy blade (which I would love to proselytize buy gifting them), out of the 100 or so photos I came across, there were knives with bottle openers (attached). So that at lease solves that those grooves are indeed for bottle opening. But still, why the "wavy blade"?

@rotutsThat fish comment jogged my brain. Although I think she was just trying to pawn off her wares, I seem to recall the women (who I also believe was definitely not the original owner) saying "it's for descaling fish" IMMEDIATELY AFTER she said "I don't know".

Fun fact: That day I went walking around the stands specifically looking for a metal gear "vintage" egg beater and she happened to have one! So this "bread knife v2.0" was the bonus find.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.99bafef82a58256b7b988df0126b77ff.jpgimages.jpeg.6427cdcf490c8d535e37b62f3781c63d.jpegb1bb424b3c03a5b2b56154348bec1bc3--e-bay-cheese-knife.jpg.e94f87904da2c14d855e7e58e2b618d5.jpg

Edited by Jon S
word missing (log)
  • Like 1

You know, I'm thinking the tip was sharper (unchipped?) in its past life. So it was likely able to handle garnishes then and had a more convincing appearance.

I've never seen these bartending knives before. Let alone a knife with a curvy edge. Those photos I had posted earlier were "vintage" in their description.

Guess I'll never find another like it being manufactured today. -_-

Still, any ideas on how should I sharpen this thing

Looks like it's for slaying and butchering some kind of mythical creature! Never seen anything like it.

No surprise that it's good with bread. That kind of reverse scallop is the best for bread knives. Looks just the edge on the fantastic Mac version.

They are very difficult to sharpen. I've been able to awkwardly maintain mine a bit by touching up the the tips of the scallops on regular stones, and the indentations on a smooth steel. But it's not great.

There are professional sharpeners who specialize in Japanese knives that can handle a scalloped edge. I've never sent mine out. Fortunately, even though my Mac is 15 years old, it still cuts well. I only use it on bread and watermelons, and it doesn't get worked hard against a cutting board, so there isn't that much to dull it. It's  just not quite as impressive as its virgin self. 

Those finer serrations might not be sharpenable. Do you use them?

Notes from the underbelly

4 hours ago, paulraphael said:

It's  just not quite as impressive as its virgin self. 

What is?

I feel the same about my MAC bread knife - except I sometimes use it on artichokes instead of watermelons.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

23 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Those finer serrations might not be sharpenable. Do you use them?

Yes, but only for the crust of the bread if it's a tad dry. I avoid using them when the crust is solid brick.

I didn't even know the term "scalloped" before @paulraphael mentioned it. I looked up "MAC breadknife" and found the brand y'all were talking about. I know now what to shop for if I want to ever get another bread knife! Thank you guys.

Website description of M.A.C. Breadknife:

"Our signature 'rounded' or 'scalloped' serrations make these knives stand out above the rest in terms of performance.  The razor-sharp edges cut through foods instead of tearing through them like traditional pointed serrations.  These knives are ideal for slicing things like crusty breads, soft cakes, flaky pastries, and tender roasts."

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 4:58 PM, Jon S said:

Still, any ideas on how should I sharpen this thing

there are quite a few different "scallop" edge designs - below is my Wuesthof bread knife - which I sharpen/"touch up" using a round pencil/dowel (of suitable diameter) wrapped with fine grit wet/dry sandpaper.  strokes on an angle, one gullet at a time.

some scallop designs are essentially not possible . . .

you could likely do the wavy bits in similar fashion - but two separate operations.  first the gullets, using a round device, then the peaks using a very narrow flat piece (wet/dry paper glued on...)

Wusthof-Classic-Bread-Knife-20cm_2_750px-3240934469.jpg.e8744e6e9b08fe777dff7958b7bcb6eb.jpg

• Thanks 2

I have that same knife

and use an old zip=zap to sharpen it.

the ZZ has long been discontinued  it was a short round ceramic  sharpener 

you can get ceramic sharpeners in many sizes from a good woodworking store

and the dog // sandpaper technique works very well 

• Thanks 1