• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arancini

guajolote

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I'm so intrigued by this recipe.

It sounds fantastic if a little labor-intensive for the likes of me.

Is it as good as it looks?

That recipe uses jasmine rice.  Mistake I think.

As said above, arancini are usually made with sticky risotto rice.  I don't think jasmine would hold together.

They are great.   I fry them, ought to try t he air fryer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Bake time and temp, @blue_dolphin?

375°F convection bake in the CSO. Time is 15 - 25 min, depending on size and whether being cooked fresh or from frozen.

For the most even browning, I recommend pre-toasting the panko.  I give them a light spritz of olive oil before going in the oven, mostly for flavor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

That recipe uses jasmine rice.  Mistake I think.

As said above, arancini are usually made with sticky risotto rice.  I don't think jasmine would hold together.

They are great.   I fry them, ought to try t he air fryer

Wow!  I can't believe I missed that.  Thanks for pointing it out.

If you do the air fryer method please fill us in.

19 hours ago, lindag said:

I'm so intrigued by this recipe.

It sounds fantastic if a little labor-intensive for the likes of me.

Is it as good as it looks?

One way to ease the prep part is to make an Instant Pot risotto.  I've made this asparagus risotto and the mushroom variation of this basic risotto, both from @pazzaglia on hippressurecooking.com.  They're really pretty good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jasmine rice does not sound right to me. but I've not tried it or ever will. I make extra risotto and make arancini the next day after the fridge time firms it up. (similar to next day grits for griddled polenta).

One and one half cups of risotto rice makes 4 small first course servings or two main servings with enough left over for 6 large or a dozen mini arancini. Often extra for a flat pack for. the freezer.

Not any more work than meatballs. I use my medium or large cookie scoops. I oven roast mine. 

Essex market AraciniBros for filling ideas. I like a mini cube of mozzarella and peas for large ones and usually just plain for minis. Risotto is always rich wild mushroom to begin with. 

IMG_4866.jpeg

arancini bros copy.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 10.15.25 AM.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Love it but just too much work for me.

If you want to make me eat rice then it had better be in the form of noodles, sake, or arancini.

Just landed and happily missed my bus... This chain has a shop at the airport (thank you!).
g6rNwDC.jpg

Waiting for my bus...
UIy0ZtK.jpg

Ate it every day so I could try all the fillings. Btw, the conical ones almost always have ragu filling.
5PVRNle.jpg

t9UU9AZ.jpg

hZyyC64.jpg

L6rixuC.jpg

cTDsVqC.jpg

wF7iZwG.jpg

ibeLW3U.jpg

NVDnh10.jpg

My last arancini. Also got a box of 6 to take home. When I return to Sicily it'll be my first and last meal/snack again!!!
Undbp3B.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

24 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I make rissotto several times a year and while I love aranchini, I hate and don't do deep frying. Don't know why I never looked into baking them but I certainly will now.

It works really well.  You can either bake them right away or freeze some on a tray, bag them up and bake directly from frozen at a later time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 4 months later...