• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carbonara is American and the only good Parmesan cheese is from Wisconsin.

Anna N

Here.

Don't shoot the messenger!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I would buy Wisconsin if the aging and quality standards were high. 

But even if they were, no US consumer would pay for fake parmigiano unless they know the quality checked out 

And this requires and initial upfront $$$ captial injection to improve not just quality but marketing and clever advertising 

They need like Rihanna, Beyonce and so on promoting it and getting the word out. And this costs $$$

I remember the first time I sprung for a wedge of Parnagiano after years of pre-shredded (or ground) green can dreck. It was a revelation.

Green can dreck does have one good use. Build yourself a turkey or chicken sandwich. Coat the outside of the bread wall-to-wall with softened butter, and cover liberally with parm. Grill. Savor.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com