• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mulling over my kitchen design

Kahrs

Just now, Darienne said:

Speaking of freezers...we have the large freezer part of the 'new' to us horrible kitchen fridge, and two chest freezers (garage freezer = dog meat and quick freeze of people dishes; cellar freezer = people food only)  the cellar one dating back to the 1970s.  This morning I was searching for something in the cellar freezer and emptied the entire *&%)( thing and never found it and was fairly irked (certifiably deranged I fear) by the entire process which I have endured since the 70s.  Apparently a new upright freezer will set us back around $1,700.00.  Could there be such a thing as a   second-hand upright?

Yes, very much so. Mine was second-hand, purchased when the previous one failed, which in turn had been purchased used for my restaurant. My current one is smaller, but it does the job.

I'd love to get something like the FreezerMax system for my own chest freezer, but apparently it's not on Amazon Canada. :(

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9J4W3L1

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Yes, very much so. Mine was second-hand, purchased when the previous one failed, which in turn had been purchased used for my restaurant. My current one is smaller, but it does the job.

I'd love to get something like the FreezerMax system for my own chest freezer, but apparently it's not on Amazon Canada. :(

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9J4W3L1

Nice looking system...would not work for me.   We've used a very similar system going back and it always fails after a while.  In fact, every system we've ever used has failed including Ed's last brilliant idea, currently in use, of using cloth bags (colors identified on a legend hanging above the freezer).  It's the best so far...but still no bag of Chile Relleno Casserole this morning.  Aaarrgghhh.  Whatever it is, so far unfamiliar, that we are having for lunch is currently defrosting and heating up in the toaster oven and it ain't Chile Relleno Casserole!

I'll look for a second hand one then.   

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Three and 3/4 years in, I still love my kitchen. There are, however, a few things I’d change about it.

Several of the base cabinets are too narrow to be useful, ditto some of the drawers. Thus I have three teeny drawers (6-8 inches wide) stove side, devoted to utensils. 

If I were to rearrange things, I’d swap spots for my stove and fridge, which would put my stove and sink on the same wall, and the fridge opposite. I’d move the coffee station to the left end of that counter, leaving me a good-sized prep area between stove and sink. That would allow me to have a real vent hood that could vent outside.

Counter where the stove was would keep its lowered section for baking. Remainder of counter would be where other appliances — stand mixer, air fryer, CSO, instant pot — would live.

At the end of the kitchen, which once housed a table and chairs, there is a counter-height top with three deep drawers at one end, the remainder open to accommodate barstools. I have two barstools at the center island, so I’d stick another identical stack of drawers under it

Center island has a drop leaf. All countertops are granite except the island, which is butcher block.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@chromedome I didn't know about that system when I purchased to bespoke ones from here:  https://www.hamsterbaskets.co.uk/hamster-baskets/freezer-baskets/

The shipping was unfortunate; but they really did make my freezer much more functional.  I love them.  

I am glad for these reno threads, because I absolutely have to redo my kitchen soon -- it's Ikea, and ten years beyond what Ikea is designed to do.  

• Like 2

We completely redid our kitchen almost 20 years ago, and remain very happy with the results. Pictures and extensive discussion here:

Since the renovation we have replaced the refrigerator (planned) and diswasher (not planned). We also opened up the dining room to the foyer and living room, which makes the house feel much more open at the cost of slightly reducing storage. Recently we added a floorstanding wire rack for big pots, onions, garlic, etc. on the wall beside the microwave.

I hope some of that might help, and best wishes for your renovation!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 8:49 PM, Darienne said:

Speaking of freezers...we have the large freezer part of the 'new' to us horrible kitchen fridge, and two chest freezers (garage freezer = dog meat and quick freeze of people dishes; cellar freezer = people food only)  the cellar one dating back to the 1970s.  This morning I was searching for something in the cellar freezer and emptied the entire *&%)( thing and never found it and was fairly irked (certifiably deranged I fear) by the entire process which I have endured since the 70s.  Apparently a new upright freezer will set us back around $1,700.00.  Could there be such a thing as a   second-hand upright?

I totally feel your frustration with the whole freezer ordeal! It can be maddening to search endlessly and still not find what you're looking for. As for finding a new upright freezer, they can be quite pricey. However, have you considered exploring commercial freezer options? They're often designed for heavy-duty use and can be a more affordable choice compared to brand-new residential freezers. Plus, some commercial models offer excellent capacity and energy efficiency. Don't hesitate to check out reputable sellers for second-hand commercial freezers too—they might just be the solution to your storage needs without breaking the bank!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Madon2234 said:

As for finding a new upright freezer, they can be quite pricey. 

Thanks for your concern, @Madon2234, but my email predated finding out that my friend had two upright freezers, one of which was no longer needed, and so we are now the proud owners of yet another freezer, and at a very reasonable cost...not to mention that her two strapping young sons ferried it over and set it up for us.  Doesn't get much better than that.  

• Like 11

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Thanks for your concern, @Madon2234, but my email predated finding out that my friend had two upright freezers, one of which was no longer needed, and so we are now the proud owners of yet another freezer, and at a very reasonable cost...not to mention that her two strapping young sons ferried it over and set it up for us.  Doesn't get much better than that.  

Score! :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A few random thoughts.

Asko makes an induction cooktop with a gas wok burner. I would have preferred that to my all gas one had it been available when I was remodelling. I don't want to give up counter space to a steam oven so a built in one would be fine but was out of my budget. I like having on decent sized sink instead of two small ones but if you have room for two large ones... I have cupboards hidden away under the island for those things that seldom never get used but I don't want to get rid of. One of my favourite things is a narrow cupboard next to the oven and cooktop with a basket that pulls out for keeping salt, pepper, oils, etc. handy for cooking.

One mistake was putting three large cupboards above one of the counters when it should have been 4 narrower ones. Turns out the large doors get in the way when they are open and it is a pain to squeeze by the island or keep closing and reopening them when putting dishes away.

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Wondering what heights for counters you find ideal for what tasks.  Mulling over designs myself at the moment and had never seen recommendations that were different for kneading, cutting etc.  After reading that in this thread I searched the forum to no avail.

14 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Wondering what heights for counters you find ideal for what tasks.  Mulling over designs myself at the moment and had never seen recommendations that were different for kneading, cutting etc.  After reading that in this thread I searched the forum to no avail.

Curious, I decided to measure my kitchen counters.  The sink counter is 36". standard counter height I believe.  The opposite counter...we have a galley type kitchen... I had Ed cut down and it's only 34".  And then I have a marble topped table, good for things like making confections and kneading on and it's 31" high.  But then...I'm only 5'2" (now)...and these heights are good for me.  I had aunts who were under 5' high...that was not unusual going back 50 years.  If I were the now seeming standard female height of 5'9" or 10", the counters might seem to low.   On the other hand, I can barely use our chest freezers and my new washing machine and I know my sister-in-law, who is shorter than I am, has a great deal of trouble with these items and so now has a front loader washing machine because she just can't handle the regular top loading ones. 

So your height would make all the difference in the world.  

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Workspace height is a deal-maker or breaker.    My husband is big on mocking up construction projects using boxes of every size, including large appliance containers.     Were I to replace our counters, I would have him mock up counters of different heights on which I can test different processes: kneading, stirring/beating, cutting/slicing/carving.     They are not the same.

As it is, I use standard counters for few operations, but center marble table top for pastry construction and sink for beating batters.   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Generally pastry and chopping high and kneading lower?  I am completely self taught and assume that to be the case, but my back is always sore from bending over as I have the opposite problem being 6'7".  I cannot make my counters the height I need, but need to build a cutting surface via block that raises everything.  Figured I'd bring the counter up to 37 or 38" to make kneading easier and lift for the rest.  Pastry is something I am about to start, but have no experience yet.  My wife is 5'8" so I don't want the counters way too high for her.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

. . . my back is always sore from bending over as I have the opposite problem being 6'7".  I cannot make my counters the height I need, but need to build a cutting surface via block that raises everything. 

Raising your working surface is the way to go, methinks. I have a nice thick cutting board that raises the working surface about 2.5 inches. At 6'-7" you could probably use even more height for your prep surfaces.

If you do build blocks to raise your cutting surface, please post here - I would be very interested to see.

Mrs. C is about 7 inches shorter so raising countertop height was not an option. Plus, you may eventually want to sell your house to short people . . . :wink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I have the opposite problem being 6'7".  I cannot make my counters the height I need, but need to build a cutting surface via block that raises everything.  Figured I'd bring the counter up to 37 or 38" to make kneading easier and lift for the rest.  Pastry is something I am about to start, but have no experience yet.  My wife is 5'8" so I don't want the counters way too high for her.

Ergonomics are no joke for any time-consuming tasks.  If you have the opportunity to fit out the workspace, you should take @Margaret Pilgrim's advice and take the time to sort out what works for you and your wife for the tasks you do. I'm 5' 3" and am mostly OK with standard 36" counters, although I like a table height for kneading and make sure to put on clogs if I'm doing a lot of chopping on a board that adds an extra inch.  That makes me think you could easily go up by 4 or 5 inches for most counters, though arm and leg length both weigh into that ergo equation. 

• Like 1

I agree that counter height is a major big time issue when one is 'into' longer tasks.

if one is height challenged . . . one simple solution is a platform to stand on . . 

but if one is in height-excess, a higher counter top is the only solution.... and that is not easily accomplished for a 'large' area.

3 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Generally pastry and chopping high and kneading lower?  I am completely self taught and assume that to be the case, but my back is always sore from bending over as I have the opposite problem being 6'7".  I cannot make my counters the height I need, but need to build a cutting surface via block that raises everything.  Figured I'd bring the counter up to 37 or 38" to make kneading easier and lift for the rest.  Pastry is something I am about to start, but have no experience yet.  My wife is 5'8" so I don't want the counters way too high for her.

I'm going to pass your ideas along to my daughter. She is 5'6" and her fiance is 6'7". She works on the counter and he works on the island but says he wishes it were a couple of inches higher.

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

I'm going to pass your ideas along to my daughter. She is 5'6" and her fiance is 6'7". She works on the counter and he works on the island but says he wishes it were a couple of inches higher.

I figure if I made the island the height for kneading it may be good for both my wife and I.  Then I will build a really large end grain cutting board that raises it up 3-6" or whatever I need.  Going to mock that up.  Currently I knead on a normal height counter and feel it could be higher even for that.  My wife does very little in the kitchen but want her to be comfortable when she does.  My kids as well.

• Like 2