• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

My massive Samsung (36" wide, and 28 cubic feet IIRC) is just barely big enough for my household, which - in fairness - includes my stepdaughter's family plus us, so 6 in total. Like Darienne I'd be fine with less freezer space and more refrigerator space, though I have a standup freezer, a full-sized chest freezer and a smaller chest freezer so I'm admittedly something of an outlier. Many manufacturers now make models that split the lower compartment to give you a "flex" option: at your discretion you can set either half (sometimes both) to be refrigerator space rather than freezer space.

I got mine used in like-new condition for only $150, though, so I'm not complaining (and the look on the guy's face when I showed up to in a minivan to collect it was worth the price of admission, all on its own).

Speaking of freezers...we have the large freezer part of the 'new' to us horrible kitchen fridge, and two chest freezers (garage freezer = dog meat and quick freeze of people dishes; cellar freezer = people food only)  the cellar one dating back to the 1970s.  This morning I was searching for something in the cellar freezer and emptied the entire *&%)( thing and never found it and was fairly irked (certifiably deranged I fear) by the entire process which I have endured since the 70s.  Apparently a new upright freezer will set us back around $1,700.00.  Could there be such a thing as a   second-hand upright?

Darienne

Darienne

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

My massive Samsung (36" wide, and 28 cubic feet IIRC) is just barely big enough for my household, which - in fairness - includes my stepdaughter's family plus us, so 6 in total. Like Darienne I'd be fine with less freezer space and more refrigerator space, though I have a standup freezer, a full-sized chest freezer and a smaller chest freezer so I'm admittedly something of an outlier. Many manufacturers now make models that split the lower compartment to give you a "flex" option: at your discretion you can set either half (sometimes both) to be refrigerator space rather than freezer space.

I got mine used in like-new condition for only $150, though, so I'm not complaining (and the look on the guy's face when I showed up to in a minivan to collect it was worth the price of admission, all on its own).

Speaking of freezers...we have the large freezer part of the 'new' to us horrible kitchen fridge, and two chest freezers (garage freezer = dog meat and quick freeze of people dishes; cellar freezer = people food only)  the cellar one dating back to the 1970s.  This morning I was searching for something in the cellar freezer and emptied the entire *&%)( thing and never found it and was fairly irked (certifiably deranged I fear) by the entire process which I have endured since the 70s.  Apparently a new upright freezer will set us back around $1,700.00.  Could there be such a thing as a   second-hand upright?