• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tempura fryer

Katie Meadow

Does anyone use one of these dedicated Japanese-style tempura deep fryers? Are they more useful than an old heavy pot? What would be considered a medium size one? I'm looking at various brands around the $50 price point, but if someone raves about one for a little more I would look at that. Of course I've told myself I wouldn't buy another kitchen appliance for the rest of my life.

I've always avoided deep frying, so I have pretty much no experience and I'm not planning to make fried chicken for a crowd. Reduced splatter and a built in thermometer / temp control  plus sturdy construction are my aspirations.   I'm looking to do shrimp and veggies in a tempura batter, but also calamari, possibly some fritters. Can you do french fries in these things? I like the idea of those "dripping racks" but many brands seem to have flimsy ones, at least according to reviews. Some of the fryers are stainless steel, some blue steel and a few are cast iron. Any suggestions?

15 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Does anyone use one of these dedicated Japanese-style tempura deep fryers?

E9722262-7328-44D7-988E-EEFC9E9A69FB.jpeg.0e845d2db65e98bc8558dc23450c5cbf.jpeg

A re-purposed electric fondue served me very well for many years. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

E9722262-7328-44D7-988E-EEFC9E9A69FB.jpeg.0e845d2db65e98bc8558dc23450c5cbf.jpeg

A re-purposed electric fondue served me very well for many years. 

Darn! I gave my electric fondue pot to my great-niece, since fondue had gone away at our house!

• Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I use a dedicated Calphalon 3.5 q. saucepan (bought at garage sale for $.50).  Over gas flame.    It has become "seasoned" over time and just requires a gentle wash and left out to dry.  

Excellent size and shape for us.

ScreenShot2023-03-27at9_59_40AM.png.90942b9a182ecbfc4d1ebbb8b1a229da.png

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Tangential thought: deep frying at home is quite straight forward.    Hot oil, fast fry, drain and serve IMMEDIATELY.  

BUT a home chef really can't cook for more than 4 people, 2 even better.    Our home fry-ups are easily as good as what I've experienced at excellent seafood restaurants, even better because there is no time lost between pot and platter.   And by the same token, the cook will not sit down to eat if trying to serve more than 2 people.  

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

I use one of these asparagus steamers (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), which was only $25 when I purchased it a few years ago. 

Does a nice job of containing any spatter.  I like to use it with my Paragon induction burner but its thermometer is rather chunky and doesn't fit between the pot and basket which means I generally use it without the basket.  Depending on what you're making, it's best for 1 or 2 people, 3 at the most.  Upside is that the small diameter minimizes the amount of oil needed.

It is also useful for steaming asparagus.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Does a nice job of containing any spatter.

Or two rolls of TP!  

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

the biggest issue in home deep frying is the 'batch size' that can be done without chill shocking the oil to a low temperature.

the big commercial stuff has oil capacities of 10 gals and up.  they can fry a big basket of stuff and not lose the fry temp.

I use a one qt copper pot for stuff like shrimp, a 3 qt copper pot for bigger stuff like chunks of chicken.

a thermometer, and I'm good to go.  takes a little practice on (gas) burner control to maintain temp....

even so - it's 4-5 shrimp / 2-3 chicken chunks at a time.  not conducive to feeding a large crowd....

spatter - screen type spatter shield.

drip rack - cookie sheet covered with paper towels.

for doing a crowd I'd look into a rental fryer / propane fired - as a 'one-off' solution.