• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tell us about the popular foods you’ve never tried

liuzhou

The Guardian in its ever-expanding quest to get the readers to write the newspaper are soliciting opinions on this topic.

How about doing it here, instead ?

I can't off hand think of anything 'popular' I haven't eaten except popc∅rn. The very smell revolts me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Foie gras - never offered. Raw oysters - so disliked the only grilled/baked?baked ones I was offered I never made an effort. If eating with an oyster lover - I'd try. 

1 minute ago, MaryIsobel said:

Foie gras - it's very offputting to me.

Illegal to produce in the UK but it’s still arrives by the truckload. 

I was horrified to have been slipped some under the guise of “it’s pâté” and have to say I found it a fatty disappointment. 

46 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Canned tuna fish.  I can't get past the smell and the fact that it reminds me of cat food, which I also can't stand the smell of! (the wet food)

How very true. My feelings exactly. Although I'm OK with the cat food so long as the cat is going to eat it and not me.  I just try not to breathe when I'm opening it and dishing it out. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

The Guardian in its ever-expanding quest to get the readers to write the newspaper are soliciting opinions on this topic.

How about doing it here, instead ?

I can't off hand think of anything 'popular' I haven't eaten except popc∅rn. The very smell revolts me.

I also read that article. I thought they were odd everyday things to have taken against.
I can’t think of anything I haven’t eaten, if it’s edible I’ll try it.
I nearly didn’t try the popular and revered century egg due to the smell but as I’d done an hour round trip to get them and I can’t abide food waste I bit the bullet egg 😆

10 minutes ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

I nearly didn’t try the popular and revered century egg

I have them in congee around three or four times a week. Love them.

There is very little I don't eat except pandas, humans and other endangered species.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

That you know of! I'd be shocked if it wasn't used extensively at Wu's.

So that I'm not misunderstood: by not trying it, I mean never having it (the literal product) in my pantry and/or using it in any of my cooking. I've certainly had it, as mentioned in the dedicated thread.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I haven't had a bahn mi. 

I'll take you to Cafe Mi Quang for lunch the next time I'm in Philly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

A McRib :S

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

I haven't had a bahn mi. 

Me neither.

Never had korean fried chicken.

Never had proper pho.

Dover sole.

Not a proper salmon en croute.

Lobster thermidor.

Lots of American things, most intrigued by biscuits and gravy, po' boys and gumbo.

Lobster roll.

Marshmallow fluff.

American Thanksgiving dinner!

I've tried most of the individual components that make up "traditional" American Thanksgiving (except sweet potato pie, oyster dressing, and cornbread dressing not from a box), just not all of them together at an actual American Thanksgiving Day dinner. From what I've been told, Canadian Thanksgiving doesn't even compare, it's vastly inferior to the American version. This is on my bucket list!

The original Guardian article is about food they avoid. The food I've listed above is all stuff I'd like to try but haven't had the opportunity.

There's hardly any popular food I wouldn't try. There's some I've tried i don't think I'll try again. Andouilette and trippa fiorantina come to mind, although a) never say never and b) the definition of "popular" is pretty wide ranging.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beebs said:

Lobster roll.

Marshmallow fluff.

American Thanksgiving dinner!

I've tried most of the individual components that make up "traditional" American Thanksgiving (except sweet potato pie, oyster dressing, and cornbread dressing not from a box), just not all of them together at an actual American Thanksgiving Day dinner. From what I've been told, Canadian Thanksgiving doesn't even compare, it's vastly inferior to the American version. This is on my bucket list!

Lobster roll - just give me the sweet lobster meat. Marshmallow Fluff was my sister's favorite sandwich for school lunch with peanut butter. OK but Idd rather sit around the fire pit or the cooling down coals of a BBQ and roast the marshmallows straight.

American Thanksgiving - perhaps over rated.  Getting stuffed to point of nodding off - not my fave. Love me fresh cranberry sauce, dark meat turkey, and green bean casserole has its place on a comfort list. 

26 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Never had proper pho.

Lots of American things, most intrigued by biscuits and gravy, po' boys and gumbo.

No significant Vietnamese population in your area? Breakfast of champions when properly done.

Po'boys - only once sitting in a canoe in a swamp -  But sometimes it is the setting that propels the experience. Have not tried to re-create. It was in Louisiana procured from a gas station. It was wonderful - shrimp dressed (means with with veg)

• Like 1

Connecticut lobster rolls, with melted butter and warm lobstah, are ridiculous.

Accompanied by good beer at Allagash Tasting Room in Portland, Maine. There was another place in the Northern Neck of VA, but apparently it closed recently.

Never tried beef tartare. I have eaten Ethiopian kitfo, which is a spiced up version of beef tartare. I alternated between "Hey, this is good" and "Ew, I am chewing on raw beef."

Honey Buns.  

Honey buns, I learned in another life, are very hard for grocers to keep from being stolen.  But I've never even been tempted.

In fairness, I have never eaten many of the very popular mass-produced sweets; I may have  had exactly one Twinkie in my Very American childhood.  I never could quite get it. I mean -- to be sure, I never could really get ahold of it, since my folks were so unrelentingly cheap about that Little Debbie stuff. 

But when I did get ahold of one, I never understood why anyone would want that over a fresh or even stale donut.  Which we did have in the house, from the supermarket bakery.  

• Like 1

I think there is a huge difference between foods we haven't eaten and foods we won't eat.  There are tons of foods I won't eat due to what I consider "moral" reasons (animals that are too people-like - monkeys, for instance - or animals that are endangered).  I also perhaps more than the normal portion of prejudices against what I consider "weird" - bugs, snakes, brains, eyeballs.  And I have issues with some textures (extremely sticky, gooey, gelatinous).  I also don't need to eat spicy stuff to know I don't care for it or enjoy the experience.  

As far as haven't goes, I just this weekend when I was eating and enjoying a bowl of buttery grits realized I'd most likely never tasted cream of wheat and hadn't tasted oatmeal in my memory.  I will gladly do either the next time someone eats them in my presence.  I'm convinced I've never tasted good caviar.  I'm pretty good about trying new things - as long as they aren't too odd.  😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1