• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Video: Michael Lasikonis filled chocolates

curls

https://youtu.be/JgzkfO8nYKo

Video description:

"Michael Laiskonis, Creative Director of New York City's Institute of Culinary Education, demonstrates the equipment, ingredients, and artistry essential to making 5 different bonbons, perfect for collecting in a stylish gift box of chocolates. Take an up-close look at the step-by-step creation of 5 different exquisite candies - White Peach Melba, Palet d’Or Ganache, Hazelnut Crunch Bar, Bourbon Truffle, and Chocolate Nougat."

• Like 6

Although he has not visited for many years, @Michael Laiskonisis a member of eG. :smile:

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2023 at 12:34 AM, pastrygirl said:

I guess nobody told him to smile?

Michael's got more of an intense, post-punk demeanor.

"It's important that it's really clean. Which is why I use a blow torch."

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

Michael's got more of an intense, post-punk demeanor.

"It's important that it's really clean. Which is why I use a blow torch."

It was a joke.  Ask any woman in your life. 😉

Still, talent and expertise do not equal telegenic.  I respect his work but didn't find this an engaging presentation.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

12 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

It was a joke. 

I get it. I happen to like the intense seriousness, especially when the subject is "bon bons." I'm similarly a fan of Werner Hertzog, when he talks about ... anything.

But seriously, Chef Laiskonis has taught me a lot over the years, and has been unreasonably generous with his knowledge and time. The way he applies encyclopedic technical knowledge to creative thinking is a model that I aspire to.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I get it. I happen to like the intense seriousness, especially when the subject is "bon bons." I'm similarly a fan of Werner Hertzog, when he talks about ... anything.

But seriously, Chef Laiskonis has taught me a lot over the years, and has been unreasonably generous with his knowledge and time. The way he applies encyclopedic technical knowledge to creative thinking is a model that I aspire to.

I think you are doing pretty well in the encyclopedic technical knowledge applied to creative thinking realm yourself!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 6:08 AM, Kerry Beal said:

I think you are doing pretty well in the encyclopedic technical knowledge applied to creative thinking realm yourself!

That is too kind. At the end of the day I'm a food nerd, not a James Beard award winner.

28 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

That is too kind. At the end of the day I'm a food nerd, not a James Beard award winner.

Well, I for one have learned so much from your research into ice cream and stabilizers, if and when you write your book - I'm sure it will win awards!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

On 5/4/2023 at 4:37 AM, paulraphael said:

I'm similarly a fan of Werner Hertzog, when he talks about ... anything.

Off topic, but the video where he talks about getting shot is special