• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a freeย account.

Hello Everybody ๐Ÿ‘‹

2 hours ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

I already spend too much money on kitchen wares. Itโ€™s a weak spot top trait ๐Ÿ˜†

ย 

Rest assured you're in good company here

• Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."ย  -George Bernard Shaw,ย Man and Superman, Act 1

ย 

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."ย  -Max Tegmark, physicist

ย 

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

ย 

"...in the mid-โ€™90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the worldโ€™s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."ย  -Neil Stephenson, author, inย The Atlantic

ย 

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It is about 50 years since I lived in Bath, but I do remember learning to ask for 'a pint of rough'.ย  Is that still current terminology?

Yes and no. Rough cider is still made and drunk by the barrel load and it still means scrumpy but can be seen as slighly insulting (particularly by the cider maker themselves) so if you didnโ€™t know what they stock youโ€™d ask what ciders theyโ€™ve got then if it was all rubbish carbonated bottles you ask if they have any โ€˜real ciderโ€™ and theyโ€™ll tell you what youโ€™re after.ย 
ย 

Unfortunately cider has become very popular nationwide and itโ€™s been transformed mostly into a terrible sweet fizzy drink, a childrenโ€™s drink (and by children I mean legal drinking age teenagers). Itโ€™s the alcopop of choice with some truly hideous fruit combinations that taste nothing like cider. Heyho. Progress!

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It is about 50 years since I lived in Bath, but I do remember learning to ask for 'a pint of rough'.ย  Is that still current terminology?T

What years did you live in Bath? Do you remember a restaurant called "The Hole in the Wall?" Last year there was an obit in the NYT of a woman who worked there for many years. I had never heard of her and did not know she was somewhat of a legend. Anyway she cooked at that restaurant during the time my family was stuck in Bath and we went there several times because it was so good. How my father ever learned about it is a mystery wrapped in a fog. We were stuck in Bath because my brother, twelve or thirteen at the time, had appendicitis and ended up in hospital for a week or more. My memory of Bath is of the otherworldly curved streets, that restaurant which was hidden away behind an small unidentified door, and of playing hearts in the hospital room. It took my brother five minutes to get the game down and I hated it and haven't played since. I was fifteen.

• Like 2

Lots of well known chefs hailed from there.ย 

Bath is a bit of a separate entity when it comes to the rest of the surrounding rural area. Itโ€™s called little London. Because itโ€™s where the monied folk who want to escape city life (but not lose the trappings) tend to flock.ย 

ย 

This gives it a strange vibe. Not a bad one necessarily, a wealthy one with the trappings that go with it and that includes some extremely good restaurants but itโ€™s like any city itโ€™s dislocated from its rural surroundings an any comprehension of country life.ย 

ย 

The Hole in the Wall became a pizza place. Itโ€™s gives some fine examples of some the hideous cider offerings that are now available. Iโ€™m not knocking the place, it offers over 20 varieties of cider! But on this menu theres only two Iโ€™d want to order and a couple more I would at a drink at a push.ย 

ย 

https://stablepizza.com/bath/drink

2 hours ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

The Hole in the Wall became a pizza place. Itโ€™s gives some fine examples of some the hideous cider offerings that are now available. Iโ€™m not knocking the place, it offers over 20 varieties of cider! But on this menu theres only two Iโ€™d want to order and a couple more I would at a drink at a push.ย 

ย 

https://stablepizza.com/bath/drink

The Stable? Pizza a horse wouldn't eat. Well what do I know? Horses are probably picky, like cats. There's a lot more bad pizza out there than there is good. I'm sure there are plenty of weird dopey ciders in the UK, as there would be here if cider drinking became really popular. ย 

13 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The Stable? Pizza a horse wouldn't eat. Well what do I know? Horses are probably picky, like cats. There's a lot more bad pizza out there than there is good. I'm sure there are plenty of weird dopey ciders in the UK, as there would be here if cider drinking became really popular. ย 

ย 

Never been there, not my sort of thing but it seemed to rank well in Bath when it first arrived and now itโ€™s tanked with complaints of bad service etc etcย