• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello Everybody 👋

I’m from the South West of England (you know the end of the country where Americans can’t believe we sound like pirates 😆) and absolutely love making and talking about food.

I really enjoy watching cookery programmes, reading cookery books, online content and experimenting with different dishes doing different variations of the same dish in a cooking session and having the results compete for my personal top tastebud win.

I love almost everything about food and spend a crazy amount of time thinking about it.

Things I don’t like about food -

I don’t like food snobs even though I occasionally find myself being a bit of one 😆 like recently when I curled my nose up at the idea of the Canadian dish Poutine but then made it with cheese that pleases my palate and a good 24 hour make red wine beef dripping gravy and immediately changed my mind, fine dining it is not, tasty it certainly was, more fool me 😂

I regularly buy cookery books but have reached a time when I find generally I already have a good version of most of the recipes in a book and only get a max of two or three bits of inspiration. Having looked at the pics posted on here I feel you have the inspiration I enjoy reading about and look forward to joining in, and who knows maybe even contribute something someone else might enjoy too!

Currently loving Yotam Ottolenghi for his sunny disposition, colourful dishes and power punch flavours and Felicity Cloake’s column which searches for the perfect version of something.

Welcome, NTFS (the person, not the file system). I also read and support The Guardian and enjoy its food writing. I'm looking forward to your contributions. 

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Many thanks for the welcome.

At the mo my posts have to be approved so what I posted this morning is still hidden, which might be a good thing 😆

Hello @Not The Full Shilling. Not to start too much on the argumentative side, I must say I ate a truly fine duck poutine appetizer at Au Pied de Cochon the last time I was in Montréal. This was followed by a pig's head. Divine! A sample menu.

On your avatar, the closest I can get for the decal on the tank is a Royal Enfield. Maybe? I ride a BMW F700.

The folks here on eG are friendly and entertaining, but beware or they will make you spend much too much money on kitchen tchotchkes––er, tools.

Welcome!

Edited to correct the accidental post.

Edited by TdeV (log)

50 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Welcome! I have visited the UK but not the southwest. Besides the pirate accent, I would love to hear more about your location - local food specialties, availability of ingredients, etc. 

Well there are quite a few. I’ll endeavour to pick them out as I use them as there are just so many. Mostly meat and dairy. 

I suppose the one everyone will be most familiar with is Cheddar. I live about 20 mins from Cheddar Gorge where they still age the truckles in caves which is kinda cool when you consider the first reference to Cheddar gorge cheese was in 1170.

edit oh and musn’t forget Cider. Somerset is the home of real Cider. Where it was drunk instead of water until it became potable!

Edited by Not The Full Shilling (log)

Welcome! Sounds like you've landed in the right place. How did you learn of eG? The last time I heard someone say "not the full shilling" it was an Irish nun referring to a biker guy.  So you gave me a giggle.

43 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Hello @Not The Full Shilling. Not to start too much on the argumentative side, I must say I ate truly fine duck poutine appetizer at Au Pied de Cochon the last time I was in Montréal. This was followed by a pig's head. Divine! A sample menu.

On your avatar, the closest I can get for the decal on the tank is a Royal Enfield. Maybe? I ride a BMW F700.

The folks here on eG are friendly and entertaining, but beware or they will make you spend much too much money on kitchen tchotchkes––er, tools.

Welcome!

Edited to correct the accidental post.

Ooh nice. I’ll have the duck tartare and the black pudding tart please! 

Nice bike 👍 I have a BMW R9T (my show pony 😆).

The avi is my latest acquisition the new BSA Goldstar. Very pleased with it, it’s very pretty and is a lovely surprise to ride. But don’t get me started on motorbikes, I love motorcycling as much as as I love food 😬 😆

I already spend too much money on kitchen wares. It’s a weak spot top trait 😆 

30 minutes ago, heidih said:

Welcome! Sounds like you've landed in the right place. How did you learn of eG? The last time I heard someone say "not the full shilling" it was an Irish nun referring to a biker guy.  So you gave me a giggle.

I was reading the intro of a cookery book I was thinking about buying (nothing new there 😆) and the author mentioned chowhound.

I’ve been meaning to look for a food forum with like minded souls for a while.

I discovered Chowhound is no more and I think it was the New York Times (or something like that) said they’d printed a correction that egullet was still going. So here I am!

Not The Full Shilling is a British and Irish colloquialism that was prevalent in the 70’s but you really don’t hear now. Glad to be of service! 😆

13 minutes ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

Not The Full Shilling is a British and Irish colloquialism that was prevalent in the 70’s but you really don’t hear now. Glad to be of service!

I think it's still used. I am British but have lived in China for the last 27 years. So I tend to say "one dish short of a banquet". That will be my user name when I am reincarnated.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

I think it's still used. I am British but have lived in China for the last 27 years. So Itend to say "one dish short of a banquet". That will be my user name when I am reincarnated.

A sandwich short of a picnic 😆

31 minutes ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

Somerset is the home of real Cider.

Sadly, no cider here in the Midwest USA. Nor any reasonable motorcycling roads. (I used to live in California). 😒

7 minutes ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

A sandwich short of a picnic 😆

Or, as I learned when visiting New Zealand, a kumara short of a hangi!

Welcome, @Not The Full Shilling!   I also love books on food and cooking and also enjoy Ottolenghi's take on things.  Do you have his most recent Ottolenghi Test Kitchen book, Extra Good Things? Not grand masterpiece recipes but full of good ideas to play with.

Just now, TdeV said:

Sadly, no cider here in the Midwest USA. Nor any reasonable motorcycling roads. (I used to live in California). 😒

That sounds a bit of a travesty! I’m currently in Spain and if you haven’t tried motorcycling in Spain (or Portugal) and you get the opportunity grab it with both hands! The tarmac is smooth, the roads are mostly empty, the off roading is good, the sun shines, the mountain views are great and the people are pleasant. 

Oh and they like their food! 😆

4 minutes ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

So how long have you guys been knocking about together on here?

I've been around for 19 years. If you hover your mouse over anyone's avatar, you will see when they joined.

I lived in Bath for a couple of years and have fond memories of food and, especially, cider. Although I also have blank periods after some scumpies!

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Or, as I learned when visiting New Zealand, a kumara short of a hangi!

Welcome, @Not The Full Shilling!   I also love books on food and cooking and also enjoy Ottolenghi's take on things.  Do you have his most recent Ottolenghi Test Kitchen book, Extra Good Things? Not grand masterpiece recipes but full of good ideas to play with.

Thankyou blue_dolphin 😊

I don’t I just stumbled upon his ‘extra good things’ test kitchen on youtube but I haven’t finished watching him on Masterclass so I’m saving that!

I've been around for 19 years. If you hover your mouse over anyone's avatar, you will see when they joined.

I lived in Bath for a couple of years and have fond memories of food and, especially, cider. Although I also have blank periods after some scumpies!

Yes it’s generally deceptively strong stuff that just tastes like a very unusual (but good) fermented cloudy apple juice and then if your not familiar with its strength BAM 💥😆

1 minute ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

Yes it’s generally deceptively strong stuff that just tastes like a very unusual (but good) fermented cloudy apple juice

I remember being in what was my favourite pub near where I lived and ordering a pint of scrumpy. The very short, middle-aged barmaid started pouring the cider from a huge barrel resting on the bartop. After filling about one third of my pint, the supply stopped. This tiny woman picked up the barrel, shook it vigourously and then poured the rest of my pint, saying "Bit of apple in the tap!".

I have no recollection of going home but got there somehow. Great stuff.

I remember being in what was my favourite pub near where I lived and ordering a pint of scrumpy. The very short, middle-aged barmaid started pouring the cider from a huge barrel resting on the bartop. After filling about one third of my pint, the supply stopped. This tiny woman picked up the barrel, shook it vigourously and then poured the rest of my pint, saying "Bit of apple in the tap!".

I have no recollection of going home but got there somehow. Great stuff.

Sounds about right 😆

If you don’t drink Cider you have to leave Somerset, it’s the law. 

My son is at Uni in Bristol and the people he is house sharing with are not from the West Country, they are keen to try scrumpy or so he told me with a glint in his eye and an evil cackle 😂

2 minutes ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

Sounds about right 😆

If you don’t drink Cider you have to leave Somerset, it’s the law. 

My son is at Uni in Bristol and the people he is house sharing with are not from the West Country, they are keen to try scrumpy or so he told me with a glint in his eye and an evil cackle 😂

I also remember when friends from elsewhere in the UK came to visit, we would go that same pub with an old flagon and get it filled, The visitors always said it wouldn't be enough. Shortly before they passed out!

A wonderful part of England.

16 minutes ago, Not The Full Shilling said:

Yes it’s generally deceptively strong stuff that just tastes like a very unusual (but good) fermented cloudy apple juice and then if your not familiar with its strength BAM 💥😆

A friend's Dad used to homebrew hard cider. That stuff definitely sneaks up on you. Aftermath looked like a neutron bomb had gone off, with bodies scattered everywhere.  😜

• Haha 1