• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What happened to Lea & Perrins White Wine Worcestershire Sauce?

Smithy

Since I met my husband our pantry has always included two Lea & Perrins products: standard Worcestershire Sauce and White Wine Worcestershire Sauce. The latter is made with sauternes and some unnamed herbs, and is decidedly sweeter than the original. My husband loves it as an addition to sauces, and occasionally as a basting sauce on pork. A few years back it was relabeled as "Marinade for Chicken" but the ingredient list was the same.

We just finished our bottle, and haven't been able to find more. None of the Yuma grocery stores (Albertson's, Fry's, Walmart) carries it. I can't even find it on Amazon!  Albertson's and Walmart claim to carry it although the local stores don't, so I'm wondering if this is simply a regional thing. Can anyone shed light on what's going on?

Screen grab from Walmart.com, which claims to carry it but doesn't actually offer a way to buy it, even by mail.

Screenshot_20230316_130904_Chrome.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lea-Perrins-Marinade-for-Chicken-10-fl-oz-Bottle/10308274

Edited by Smithy
spelling (log)
  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Interesting. I have never heard of it in either of its two appearances. Certainly if you look at the UK company site there is only one sauce made by Lea & Perrins and that is the original Worcestershire.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been a fan of Lea & Perrins my entire life.  My mother used it in salads and I use it in salads and other dishes also.  And I had never heard of this white wine sauce.  

Interesting side note:  we always called it 'wooster' sauce, what the locals call it:

'Why is Worcestershire pronounced Wooster?
The reason Worcester is pronounced as "Wooster" is because that is the original pronunciation of the name. The town was named after Worcester, England, and the English pronunciation of Worcester is "Wooster"."

And we have no British background at all.  I never asked my mother why.   

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

8 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I've been a fan of Lea & Perrins my entire life.  My mother used it in salads and I use it in salads and other dishes also.  And I had never heard of this white wine sauce.  

Interesting side note:  we always called it 'wooster' sauce, what the locals call it:

'Why is Worcestershire pronounced Wooster?
The reason Worcester is pronounced as "Wooster" is because that is the original pronunciation of the name. The town was named after Worcester, England, and the English pronunciation of Worcester is "Wooster"."

And we have no British background at all.  I never asked my mother why.   

Can confirm that you’re absolutely right - I have never heard a single person in this country call it “Worcestershire” sauce. It’s always after the name of the town, not the county. 

We go through gallons of the stuff in our house - I have about equal parts vodka and WS in my Bloody Marys. 

And I’m absolutely intrigued by the idea of “white wine Worcester sauce” - have never in my life come across this before today. I need a bottle just to try it…

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, &roid said:

And I’m absolutely intrigued by the idea of “white wine Worcester sauce” - have never in my life come across this before today. I need a bottle just to try it…

I'd never heard of it until my husband came along. It's his go-to condiment for adjusting many of my sauces; he prefers things sweeter and I prefer them more tart. I may have to try those copycat recipes to which FauxPas linked above!

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'd never heard of it until my husband came along.

You realize of course that if you hadn't married your husband, you wouldn't find yourself in this predicament, but then the rest of us would have less to talk about 😁

p

• Haha 5

I wrote Lea & Perrins to ask about the product, and they were good enough to inform me that they'd "taken the liberty" of forwarding my email to the appropriate department. This morning, Kraft-Heinz Consumer Affairs was good enough to write. 

Thank you for visiting our website.

It's great to hear from consumers who are looking for our Lea & Perrins White Wine Worcestershire Sauce, because it lets us know how much you enjoy them. The tough part comes when we have to share the news that the product you're trying to find has been discontinued.

If products don't seem to be popular with our consumers, and demand starts to drop, a decision is made to discontinue the item. Once this decision is made, we stop making the product and the remaining supply is shipped from our warehouse to the grocery stores.

At this time there are no plans to bring back our discontinued products, but we are always cooking up something new to help you live and eat better so you may discover a new favorite!

Again, thanks for contacting us, and I hope you'll continue to enjoy our products.

Kraft Heinz Consumer Relations

I don't like the answer, but it's nice that they didn't simply ignore me. Now, on to finding an appropriate substitute!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Now, on to finding an appropriate substitute!

I suggest you make your own. Here's a recipe to get you started: What's dis here sauce? There's a related topic here.

It's kind of sweet to start with (sweeter than L&P, anyway). Also, I'm not sure where the sauternes would fit in. Maybe instead of one of the vinegars?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

33 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

I suggest you make your own. Here's a recipe to get you started: What's dis here sauce? There's a related topic here.

It's kind of sweet to start with (sweeter than L&P, anyway). Also, I'm not sure where the sauternes would fit in. Maybe instead of one of the vinegars?

Thanks, Dave. I notice you don't have tamarind in the recipe. Did you try it and discard the idea? (It may be too long ago to remember.)

eta I'm not sure about the sauternes either. I was thinking along the lines of white balsamic vinegar, since we already have that around and it's another of DH's preferred condiments.

Edited by Smithy
Added comment (log)
  • Like 1

A lot of people believe that tamarind is indispensable in making Worcestershire. I have three things to say about that:

1. I was working from a recipe that didn't include tamarind, and didn't apologize about it. The original recipe came from Emeril Lagasse, and I'm not sure he's ever apologized for anything, but there you are.
  2. When all was said and done, the product tasted like Worcestershire sauce. From this I conclude that the inclusion of tamarind may be authentic but it is not mandatory
  3. At the time, I didn't know about tamarind, and a) probably couldn't have easily gotten my hands on it, though today I could tell you of at least four local sources; b) I wouldn't have known how or how much to incorporate into the recipe. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.