• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Add welcome to eG

I'm not a Modernist baker but I make pizza in my gas GE Profile home oven.

I have an Old Stone Oven Pizza Stone (clay) which might be like this which sits on a rack about 4" from the top of the oven, and 2" below the flame guard.

The oven theoretically heats to 550ºF (My oven has a VERY wide temperature drop before it restarts).

I always cook with convection on.

The oven is preheated 1 to 2 hours beforehand.

For the last 30 minutes of preheat, the broiler is turned on.

When the pizza goes in, it's necessary to turn the broiler off, or the top surface of the pizza will burn. (Reset oven to 550ºF).

My pizzas are generally cooked in about 6 or 7 minutes (I judge by the underside of the pizza)

P.S. The delivery pizza peel is square, so I make square pizzas (usually 16 pieces). 😁

P.P.S. Welcome to eGullet, @mangosteenmonk!

IMG_4579_Cropped_Sm.thumb.jpg.571b3b3ebbf828239767d1f5879853f9.jpg

IMG_4566_cropped_Sm.thumb.jpg.3824737935ded654ba6b07f1715afac4.jpg

TdeV

TdeV

I'm not a Modernist baker but I make pizza in my gas GE Profile home oven.

I have an Old Stone Oven Pizza Stone (clay) which might be like this which sits on a rack about 4" from the top of the oven, and 2" below the flame guard.

The oven theoretically heats to 550ºF (My oven has a VERY wide temperature drop before it restarts).

I always cook with convection on.

The oven is preheated 1 to 2 hours beforehand.

For the last 30 minutes of preheat, the broiler is turned on.

When the pizza goes in, it's necessary to turn the broiler off, or the top surface of the pizza will burn. (Reset oven to 550ºF).

My pizzas are generally cooked in about 6 or 7 minutes (I judge by the underside of the pizza)

P.S. The delivery pizza peel is square, so I make square pizzas (usually 16 pieces). 😁

IMG_4579_Cropped_Sm.thumb.jpg.571b3b3ebbf828239767d1f5879853f9.jpg

IMG_4566_cropped_Sm.thumb.jpg.3824737935ded654ba6b07f1715afac4.jpg