• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ready to eat meal delivery service

Anna N

ACC531DF-868D-4F88-B75A-A1A589902E93.thumb.jpeg.39bd1b166d7af60febf232eaac1f1f70.jpeg

I could not find a topic that addressed this meal delivery service where no cooking is required other than to reheat. This is a very expensive proposition and probably not one that I will use going forward. This was my first meal  - miso glazed salmon, black rice and roasted vegetables. There was also a very strange sauce which looked like mayonnaise but was incredibly sweet. Based on this one meal there would be no repeats but unfortunately I ordered three meals so there are two more to go. On reflection I must admit that salmon was not a wise choice. 
I read reviews and almost& all of them were positive to the point of disbelief. What are people eating that they think this is good?

• Sad 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last spring/summer I subscribed to a service so that my husband would have something healthy that he could just reheat before going to play softball on week nights - for those days that I didn't have leftovers from our weekend meals, since I work late and he needed to eat pretty early. It is quite expensive, indeed, with the built in cost of shipping and cold packs. We sampled around 8 meals (promotional package deal), IIRC, and the one issue I had was that the vegetables were always overcooked (as to be expected) and I would have liked more of them. There is a local restaurant that offers "chef prepared" meals that don't require a subscription and we can pick them up 10 minutes away, so I may try that as an alternative for him. He can't/won't cook for himself.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Our local rag just published “The best pastas in San Francisco”.     One, a signature plate, was so bad (heavy, unbalanced, clumsy) I left 3/4 of it.   Have these reviewed never had fine, fresh, intelligently sauced pasta?

Most people who review food and/or restaurants, at this point in time, know nothing.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

I read reviews and almost& all of them were positive to the point of disbelief. What are people eating that they think this is good?

One has only to think of the many commercial products that people seem to love...or why on earth would they buy them ?...that others...like me...think are horrible.  I could name a bunch off the top of my head...but then some of you love these products that I think are well,.....just went to thesaurus to find a more politic word for the one I am inclined to use but won't...unappetising.  

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

An expression I'm fond of is "don't yuck on someone else's yum". As far as online reviews...buyer beware, since the internet has empowered everyone to believe they are a restaurant critic.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1DC4E277-4830-43C0-95BB-CB9654F79C9E.thumb.jpeg.d10681629fc24ba7918b204512f7b0a9.jpeg

This is the second of the three meals I ordered. Labelled as a honey garlic beef bowl with Asian vegetables over japchae noodles. Not quite sure how one determines the ethnicity of a vegetable but I didn't notice anything that I would consider Asian. There were a few nuggets of chewy beef.  Given that each of these meals cost ~$24 (when taxes, packaging and delivery are factored in) it was hard to consider this value for the dollar - not that it is promoted as budget food! But neither does it come anywhere close to meeting my idea of a meal I'm anxious to encounter. Not quite as bad as the hospital food I was subjected to earlier but only minimally better.

• Sad 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

C16D0C1E-34FF-4AE4-93E4-CB6227A1BA0A.thumb.jpeg.386039d93c204d0d0f0abb99dfef79a4.jpeg

This was the last of my order. I had high hopes for this. It was labelled "Cajun butter and peppercorn steak and green beans with roasted potatoes". The green beans were close to raw, the meat was no steak that I recognized and the potatoes were just boring. 

It occurs to me as I puzzle over this inability to deliver appetizing meals that the problem lies in the nature of Western cuisine. @liuzhouis able to order quite a variety of more than acceptable meals in China and those who travel on the Asian airlines seem to get very satisfactory dishes.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhouis able to order quite a variety of more than acceptable meals in China

Are your meals prepared by delivery only companies? All mine come from established real restaurants. Maybe that could be a difference.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Are your meals prepared by delivery only companies? All mine come from established real restaurants. Maybe that could be a difference.

Good point. Definitely delivery only. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog