• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleavers

Jaymes

I need to buy my son a good all-purpose cleaver for his birthday. He doesn't need it to cut through bones, though. Just a good one for other kitchen cutting & slicing tasks. I'm looking to keep the cost under $150US.

Any suggestions?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I would check out Chinatown. I've never been but I do know Houston has the second largest Indo-Chinese population in the USA after L.A.

However, personally I'd never buy any kind of knife for someone else. You have to feel the knife you are going to use for balance etc.  and pick the one that feels right for you.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I would check out Chinatown. I've never been but I do know Houston has the second largest Indo-Chinese population in the USA after L.A.

However, personally I'd never buy any kind of knife for someone else. You have to feel the knife you are going to use for balance etc.  and pick the one that feels right for you.

Probably right. But I asked, and that's what he said he wanted. So, I'm giving it a go. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

56 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

I need to buy my son a good all-purpose cleaver for his birthday. He doesn't need it to cut through bones, though. Just a good one for other kitchen cutting & slicing tasks. I'm looking to keep the cost under $150US.

Any suggestions?

No suggestions, sorry.

Why a cleaver versus a chef's knife?

Edit: Whoops, looks like you already answered.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Just now, C. sapidus said:

No suggestions, sorry.

Why a cleaver versus a chef's knife?

He has a chef's knife. This is next on his list.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

Probably right. But I asked, and that's what he said he wanted. So, I'm giving it a go. 

How about a gift certificate?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How about a gift certificate?

That's really a good idea. Thx. 

13 hours ago, Duvel said:

I have the predecessor of this model, and it is fine. Sturdy, not too heavy to work with, easy maintenance. It comes in a couple of flavors and price points …

ZWILLING Pro 6-Inch Meat Cleaver Razor-Sharp German Knife (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Actually, this looks really good!

@Jaymes 

don't feel you have to spend the entire budget on a cleaver.

of you go w the DR 

add a boning knife .  it will be a surprise 

and your son will love it.   a curved blade on a boning k knife 

is the way to go

consider 

https://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/dexter-russell-sani-safe-6-curved-boning-knife-1613-s116-6mo/

good luck !

• Like 1

The standard knife-nerd recommendation for a thin slicing cleaver that won't be used on bones is from CCK, which is a company based out of Hong Kong. The usual recommended models are the KF1303 (which is made from reactive carbon steel) and KF1912 (which is stainless). These knifes look rustic but offer incredible cutting performance thanks to their thin geometry. They're much better performers than their rustic appearance might let on, and will leave most comparable European knives in the dust. 

One sad thing is that CCK changed the branding over on their knives. They used to be stamped/engraved into the side of the knife, but the new ones have a laser etch with a QR code. Kind of a bummer. But whatever.

I got my CCK KF1912 from Chef Knives to Go, which has a wide-ish selection of cleavers. I'd also look at the Fook Kee slicers, as well as those from Chopper King. The ones from Fook Kee are very similar to the CCKs, but they have the older style, non-lasery branding on the side and come with a nicer handle. The Chopper Kings are also similar and have nice-ish handles. Both the Fook Kee and Chopper Kings are made in Taiwan with Japanese steel. If you do get a cleaver from CKTG, consider also picking up a cleaver saya for it. These provide such better protection than edge guards do. It's so nice to be able to throw a cleaver in my knife bag and not have to worry about it banging around in there.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 8:04 AM, rotuts said:

@Jaymes 

don't feel you have to spend the entire budget on a cleaver.

of you go w the DR 

add a boning knife .  it will be a surprise 

and your son will love it.   a curved blade on a boning k knife 

is the way to go

consider 

https://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/dexter-russell-sani-safe-6-curved-boning-knife-1613-s116-6mo/

good luck !

Thanks!

And, just so happens I gave him a boning knife for Christmas. He's building his collection. But you're right about one thing - he does love his boning knife. 

I kinda think the best plan here definitely may be the gift certificate. 

• Like 1

My local Taiwanese grocer has a selection of cleavers ranging from $15-$30.  Am I asking for trouble by spending this little?

This might change in the future, but, right now, I'm just looking to make separating wingettes from drumettes a little faster than using a chef's knife.

@scott123 

why not ?

they may be stainless steel , and thus a little more

difficult to sharpen

Id get a mallet 

I have this one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-oz-Hickory-2-Sided-Soft-Face-Mallet-N-H12AWYRHK/316881940

tap on the cleaver , keeping all your fingers 

away from The Action 

works well 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, scott123 said:

My local Taiwanese grocer has a selection of cleavers ranging from $15-$30.  Am I asking for trouble by spending this little?

This might change in the future, but, right now, I'm just looking to make separating wingettes from drumettes a little faster than using a chef's knife.

Go for it. Grandmas in Taiwan are not spending $220 on a cleaver. If only such a choice were available to me!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, scott123 said:

You should be okay, especially if you're just looking for a beater. But the type of cleaver we've been discussing isn't designed for butchery, but instead is a much thinner general purpose knife sometimes called a cai dao. They're the Chinese equivalent of the western chef's knife, intended primarily for cutting plants and boneless meat. There are also thicker Chinese cleavers that *are* intended for butchery, but that's not what the OP was asking about.

As for separating wingettes from drumettes, I suspect that this is a technique issue more than a knife issue. There's a small ridge by the joint between the wingette and drumette, and if you cut just beside it, the blade should slide cleanly between the bones in the joint. Once you can reliably find where to cut, you can do the task with pretty much any knife. So instead of buying a new knife, I might instead suggest buying a party pack of wings and just practicing. Worse case scenario, you have to eat a lot of wings. That sounds pretty great to me!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Jaymes said:

I kinda think the best plan here definitely may be the gift certificate. 

If you go that route, make sure that that location has a big selection of cleavers otherwise he might get tied into something that he really doesn't want. Why not just go together and make a shopping trip out of it.

• Like 4