• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gray's Papaya

tomd1750

Host's note: this post and the responses were moved from the topic Eating Chicago Pizza and Dogs.

Papaya King Uses Sabrett Mustard so No Surprise That It Would Get Deliveries From them. It Also Could Be That Sabrett Makes Their Dogs According To Their Recipe.Doesnt Mean it's Sabrett Dogs.

Grey's Papaya ( Now  Gone) ,This Could Have Been True.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

I don't think there was ever a Grey's Papaya. (if you're not just pulling my leg).

It (the Gray's chain) was founded by Nicholas Gray, who left Papaya King and opened his own place. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d99c0526b28b3b4e53006dc7510cef09.jpeg

2015_04GraysPapaya.thumb.JPG.447aa263e7e9daab34c6c6d387a43c00.JPG

https://ny.eater.com/cheap-eats/2015/7/16/8955961/papaya-king

The story of Papaya King doesn't end there; it more likely ends with the wrecking ball...

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/papaya-king-nyc-demolition-planned

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The planned demise of Papaya King makes me totally sad. I liked it way better than Gray's Papaya, which was much closer to where I grew up on West 86th St. I had no complaints about the hot dog but found the papaya drink distinguishing. On Saturdays, weather permitting, my brother and I spent the day with our dad in Central Park. We would play catch, or rock climb or hang out at the boat pond. Then we would make our way over to the East Side for lunch, which would either be Papaya King on 3rd Avenue or a pizza place on 86th and Lexington which my dad seemed to favor. Then we would take a bus back to the West Side. Weather not permitting we would go bowling on the West Side and and then to a deli for pastrami sandwiches and Cel-ray tonic . It never occurred to me to ask my mother what she did on her day off from us.  

44 minutes ago, weinoo said:

It wasn't Mimi's, was it?

I have no idea, but if memory serves, which it doesn't always, it was on or close to the southwest corner of the intersection of Lex and 86th, entrance on 86th. I don't remember ever sitting down to eat my slice,  so maybe no tables? Then again, that was a long time ago. Super traditional foldable NY pizza. Good and drippy, minimal options. 

Wasn't this supposed to be about Chicago Pizza? I went to Uno's once and wasn't impressed.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)