• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Midlife

Midlife

On 3/13/2023 at 11:48 AM, weinoo said:

If you have to use a tortilla or are making burritos to have what you think is a proper hot dog, you're just not trying hard enough.

I think you’ll need to explain further. The bread here is, for me, really just the vehicle to hold the dog, so it’s not that big a deal….. unless I find myself somewhere I can find a brioche or maybe a pretzel bun (NOT at most of my local markets). I just find supermarket hot dog buns to be like folding a piece of white bread around the dog. 

Midlife

Midlife

On 3/13/2023 at 11:48 AM, weinoo said:

If you have to use a tortilla or are making burritos to have what you think is a proper hot dog, you're just not trying hard enough.

I think you’ll need to explain further. The bread here is, for me, just the vehicle to hold the dog, so it’s not that big a deal….. unless I find myself somewhere I can find a brioche or maybe a pretzel bun (NOT at most of my local markets). I just find supermarket hot dog buns to be like folding a piece of white bread around the dog.