• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What happened to this loaf?

TdeV

This bread started with an old well-used recipe called "Tender Cheese Bread" from King Arthur Flour for the bread machine. It's similar to this recipe except it uses buttermilk vs milk, grated parmesan vs cheese powder and 1/4 teaspoon more salt.

Below I used remnants of fontina and gouda cheese (with an extra approx 20g -- which is what prompted the recipe adjustments), added 4 oz can mild chilis, drained (pressed), + 1 Tablespoon chili water,  + 1 Tablespoon Vital Wheat gluten, and upped yeast to 2 teaspoons.

At first I thought the loaf would fail to rise, then it rose high, and when I took the bread out of the bread pan, it collapsed.

Why? What would you change to fix this loaf?

FWIW, it tasted great.

IMG-9751_BillyS_Cropped.thumb.jpg.0b5d6ca591a95a62ac705a1606fcf2ec.jpgIMG-9750_BillyS_Smaller.thumb.jpg.bc4e7bfe94c21d79d73b42f542ec7480.jpgIMG-9749_BillyS_Cropped.thumb.jpg.bc33ce95bf4fd94ba71573aa2cf23e22.jpg

that kind of collapse I have "experienced" when the center was under-baked (likely temp too high, outside  done, inside,,, not so much)

all the 'included' items may have contributed to the issue (i.e. the too heavy for gluten support theory,) a bit of over-proofing could contribute . .

the crumb shot sorta' indicates the middle is still wet - perhaps a lower temp longer bake?

• Like 1

I agree that the photos make it look mungy, but it wasn't actually. It didn't taste underbaked. The entire process was done in the bread machine, so it used the same amount of time it used to use (in prior iterations).

Edited to add: I have a note on the recipe that I should try 1 3/4 tsp yeast because the loaf was a bit wet; that was before the additions mentioned in the first post in this thread.

Edited by TdeV (log)

My reason for thinking that it had too many add-ins for the amount of gluten was an article that I read by Shirley Corriher. It was about making cheese bread and she gave the formula for adding cheddar cheese to bread. I tried to find the article but my copy of her book is a PDF and it is a PIA to find anything in it. To me, the amount of yeast seems about at 2 teaspoons; the only other thing that I can think might cause this is too much moisture.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Thanks 1