• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waffle Iron/Maker

ElsieD

I have an el cheapo Rival that I picked up at Big Lots about 15 years ago. Makes one round Belgian style at a time, but I just put a rack in the oven and turn it on warm. It’s about two minutes’ cooking time per waffle, so not a real problem.

No controls. Plug in, wait til the green light comes on, fill with batter, close, wait til green light comes on again (though I always give it about an extra 30 seconds).

Serves my purposes.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly enough I was just looking thru Amazon this morning in search of a small waffle iron, suitable for one person.  I decided on this one which will be winging its way to me for Thursday delivevey.

KAF has a yeasted Belgian waffle recipe I want to try 

Recipe

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:40 PM, ElsieD said:

I decided not to bother with another batch of waffle batter and called Cuisinart instead.  A new waffle iron is on it's  way.

As an update, I got the new waffle iron and tried it out.  We had lovely waffles.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, lindag said:

Oddly enough I was just looking thru Amazon this morning in search of a small waffle iron, suitable for one person.  I decided on this one which will be winging its way to me for Thursday delivevey.

Recipe

I made that recipe.  It's very good.

yesterday was waffle morning . . . don't know exactly how I messed up, but seems the batter may have been a bit on the thin side and perhaps a bit too much baking powder...?  used the measuring cup provided . . . as soon as I closed the lid I had waffle juice running out aplenty!

flipped and that side was even worser!!

now... the waffles turned out fine - but the mess was a mess.  I left the waffle maker plugged in for about 20 minutes - that "baked" the overflow onto the surfaces and after it cooled down I could easily 'pick it off'  so there's a trick to remember.

there are many yeasted recipes - I'm going on a tear to try them all!

Liege style uses "pearl sugar" - anyone used it?  does it make a difference?

On 3/27/2023 at 11:56 AM, lindag said:

Recipe

For any new wafflers looking for ideas, I highly recommend Dorie Greenspan's Waffles from Morning to Midnight (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  Used copies are available very inexpensively. 

There's an eG topic on cooking from the book here: Cooking with Dorie Greenspan's Waffles from Morning to Midnight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...