• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Runny Caramel Filling - Help!

kstone2016

I have tried for several months now to get a runny or flowing caramel filling right for my bonbons and cannot figure out the ratios to keep it from going grainy after a few days. Here is my most recent attempt:

360 g granulated sugar 

400 g light brown sugar

200 g corn syrup

¼ tsp salt

14 g molasses

¼ c water

50 g salted butter

350 g heavy cream

Add sugar, corn syrup, salt, molasses, and water to a saucepot. Stir to combine, wash down the side of the pot to get rid of the sugar crystals. Cook on medium heat until mixture reaches 320 degrees. Add warm cream and butter mixture. Stir with the end of the digital thermometer. Cook to 230 degrees. Pour out into a heat safe bowl and cool (do not scrape out the pot).

I have read through Wybauw's "The Fine Chocolates: Gold" and can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.... I don't know if it is because I am using corn syrup instead of glucose (I am not really sure what the difference is). I don't know if there is something else I should be adding to help prevent crystallization. I am at the point where I would just give up on the whole endeavor, except my husband really wants a bonbon that is "liquidy". 

Do you have a copy of Grewelings Chocolates and Confections? The "Caramel Creams" on page 258 seem to be what your going for. The Caramel is like a thick fluid, and Ive never had it crystallize on me. 

1/4 t. Lemon juice

20 oz. Sugar

10 oz. Heavy cream

5 oz butter

A small amount of liquor 

Melt the sugar using the dry method, add the cream, stir in the butter, then the liquor if using, let it cool completely to room temp. This is a great filling, one of my favorites. 

• Like 1

The primary anti-crystallization agent in your recipe is the corn syrup.  If you want to avoid crystallization, increase the corn syrup- and decrease the white sugar as well.  Maybe someone else could chime in with a suggested ratio, but, to start, I might try increasing the corn syrup by 50 grams and decreasing the white sugar by 40 grams. If that doesn't stop the eventual crystallization, try 100 more and 80 less, respectively.  The additional water in the syrup won't make a difference since you're boiling it away to reach 320F anyway.

Also, the instructions to avoid scraping the pot are most likely to avoid crystallization.  Once you conquer your crystallization issues with the additional corn syrup, you might play around with scraping.  At that point, scraping shouldn't make a difference.

Edited by scott123 (log)
  • Like 1

Awesome thanks for the advice both of you :) I will have to give it a try and see how it comes out. I have tried increasing the corn syrup and decreasing the sugar, but it was still crystallizing, so it seems I need to keep on going. 

and I don’t have that book, but I will try out the recipe you mentioned :)

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2023 at 10:19 AM, kstone2016 said:

Awesome thanks for the advice both of you :) I will have to give it a try and see how it comes out. I have tried increasing the corn syrup and decreasing the sugar, but it was still crystallizing, so it seems I need to keep on going. 

and I don’t have that book, but I will try out the recipe you mentioned :)

How many times do you brush the sides down?  I do it 3x usually  after a couple of minutes of boiling, peak boiling and last time as the colour starts to get close to the final colour I want.  I make a lot of caramel and only use 10% corn syrup.  Here is the recipe I use:

270 g sugar

30 g corn syrup

1/3 C water   - mix gently to make a wet sandy texture and then do not stir!!!!!  swirl the pot if you want gently but not necessary

Caramelize sugar and add the cream and butter when you want

35 g butter

290 g Heavy whipping cream  warm with the butter.

boil to 230

1/2 heaping teaspoon of Kosher salt

1-2 tsp Vanilla extract - I use 2 tsp and I also make my own extract - caramel without vanilla just tastes blah to me

finish by adding the salt and vanilla.  I use a silicone spatula to stir the caramel.  

If you are just pouring the caramel into a bowl,  scrape the pot out onto some parchment paper and use the caramel over ice cream or something - don't waste the caramel left in the pot! 

I make and sell lots of caramel using this recipe and have not experienced any crystalyzing with it.  

Hope you figure it out.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 10:48 AM, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

How many times do you brush the sides down?  I do it 3x usually  after a couple of minutes of boiling, peak boiling and last time as the colour starts to get close to the final colour I want.  I make a lot of caramel and only use 10% corn syrup.  Here is the recipe I use:

270 g sugar

30 g corn syrup

1/3 C water   - mix gently to make a wet sandy texture and then do not stir!!!!!  swirl the pot if you want gently but not necessary

Caramelize sugar and add the cream and butter when you want

35 g butter

290 g Heavy whipping cream  warm with the butter.

boil to 230

1/2 heaping teaspoon of Kosher salt

1-2 tsp Vanilla extract - I use 2 tsp and I also make my own extract - caramel without vanilla just tastes blah to me

finish by adding the salt and vanilla.  I use a silicone spatula to stir the caramel.  

If you are just pouring the caramel into a bowl,  scrape the pot out onto some parchment paper and use the caramel over ice cream or something - don't waste the caramel left in the pot! 

I make and sell lots of caramel using this recipe and have not experienced any crystalyzing with it.  

Hope you figure it out.

Thanks so much! I’m doing some experimenting today and will report back :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/8/2023 at 10:06 PM, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

how is the caramel coming? 

Sorry for the radio silence, life got crazy busy. I tried increasing the amount of corn syrup and still had crystallization after a few  days. I will be giving your recipe a shot today and will return to report.