• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unclear use by date on product

Susanwusan

you'll need to post a photo, or type in the data - exactly as it appears aka line by line.

despite the vapid internet "experts" who opine the FDA requires dates of demise on all products and the date may not be more that a year away . . .

that is actually not the case.

the US FDA requires an 'expiration date' on exactly one, and only one product:  baby formula.

the rest of "best by" / "use by" / (similar verbiage) is provided at the sole discretion of the manufacturer.

the US FDA has not edicted that (for example) corn flakes go bad after xx months and should be discarded.

the usual information printed on packages may include

plant number/ID

packaging line number/ID

date / time packaged

such date information is typical "Julian date" format - which is one digit for the year of the decade+three digits for the day of that year.

example:  March 7, 2023 would appear as:  3066

March 7th being the 66th day of 2023

if used, "best by" / "use by" information must be in plain language - i.e. no codes.

some situations like shell eggs, if a best/use by date is printed by the producer, the FDA does specify how "long" those dates may be.

not a lot of situations like that comma however.

local state laws may vary, state laws are notably variable on dairy products....

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

local state laws may vary, state laws are notably variable on dairy products....

Suspect this is a European product and the FDA will not be much use. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

if it is sold in USA, the FDA will have use.

nothing I can find in the poster's profile indicates 'outside' - so we're just bumbling around in the dark.

But the product, Alpro, appears to be European.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Susanwusan said:

Hi.  Can anyone explain the numbers on Alpro four pack yoghurts?  I'm assuming they have something to do with use by dates but the words "use by" aren't shown and there isn't an obvious date format.

Have you already asked that question here?  It seems like the best place to start.

• Like 2